PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's a thread I started in June 2018 asking the same question. You might find some of the responses interesting.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I think it depends on how much you are putting away. I've probably got over 200 lbs of bulk in the cellar. Space matters, I put in as much as I can make fit. If I were storing 20 lbs, is probably leave a bit more space if for no reason other than keeping the flakes intact.

Same here. I originally left some space and didn't force things. Another 100 pounds later and I'm literally compressing stuff into jars.

Since I've started using Mylar I don't force it anymore.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With ribbon cut I generally pack at a 1:2 ratio, 2oz tobacco to a 4oz jar, 4oz tobacco to an 8oz jar, etc. I leave about 1/4" of air at the top. Flakes are packed as tight as I can get them while still being able to remove them when needed. I use the tall 12oz jars for most flakes so that I don't have to cut or bend them.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have various amounts of headspace and tightness of pack in my jars. Honestly, I don’t think it matters. But I’m a subset of one.

I opened a jar of PS Bullseye flake from 2014 about three weeks ago. I packed that jar so tight the tobacco was essentially a plug so much of it stuck together. When I pulled the bricks apart the color was uniform throughout and was a very dark color.

3A26C961-8D6F-49C0-B4FB-64F1B15928A3.jpeg

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Is air space necessary? If so, how much? And can I cram as much in the jar as possible?

I use 1/2 pint Mason/Kerr wide mouth jars for canning bulk tobaccos. I weigh out the bulk prior to jarring.

I cram 4 oz. of most flakes into a jar & leave a small amount of air at the top.

For other tobacco cuts the 1/2 pint jars hold 2 oz. perfectly. If necessary I'll use a canning funnel & double-sided espresso tamper to aid in jarring certain cuts. This still leaves a small amount of air at the top.

For plugs it depends on the size of the plug. I don't worry about how much air sits around the plug.

The oldest bulk blends I have jarred are from ~2004/2005 & they've aged beautifully so far.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I use 1/2 pint Mason/Kerr wide mouth jars for canning bulk tobaccos. I weigh out the bulk prior to jarring.

I cram 4 oz. of most flakes into a jar & leave a small amount of air at the top.

For other tobacco cuts the 1/2 pint jars hold 2 oz. perfectly. If necessary I'll use a canning funnel & double-sided espresso tamper to aid in jarring certain cuts. This still leaves a small amount of air at the top.

For plugs it depends on the size of the plug. I don't worry about how much air sits around the plug.

The oldest bulk blends I have jarred are from ~2004/2005 & they've aged beautifully so far.
Thanks for the info. Up to now I've just bought what I needed. The writing on the wall tells me I need to stockpile!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I stuff as much as I can in there... It seems to stay moist a little longer, but if it’s air tight, then I’m not sure that it makes a difference.

Reactions: edger

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A theory on aging is that you need both aerobic and anaerobic conditions, but mostly anaerobic. So you want an airtight seal, with as little O2 as possible. One theory.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A theory on aging is that you need both aerobic and anaerobic conditions, but mostly anaerobic. So you want an airtight seal, with as little O2 as possible. One theory.
Over the many years I've read different postings, some of them from pros, I've come to the conclusion that nobody actually knows what the best way is to age tobaccos or what really goes on during the "aging" process. Tobacco gets shut away in one fashion or another, for however long, until pulled forth to be packed in a pipe and immolated.
Some tins are tight packed and vacuum sealed and others are loose packed with air and it all just sort of works. About the only really destructive thing is the tobacco drying out and going stale. And, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find people who prefer dried out stale tobacco.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I understood a little air space is good for aging, as long as the jar stays sealed. If you are jarring for immediate use, you could pack it down to some degree, just to conserve jar space, since you'll be opening it as you smoke it. In any case, I wouldn't pack it down in a compressed way; I'd want to keep a little fluffiness and looseness in the blend for best smoking.