PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do any of you other 'ridiculous' category people find yourselves working to finish up some of your open tins/jars just to have less open tins/jars? Maybe it's my OCD but my 25-30 open tins are kinda driving me nuts...
I've got over 200 pounds (around 80 blends) in my closet so I would have to say no. You can always jar those open tins.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've always been a simple guy as it were as relates to that in that I've always only smoked 2 blends at a time. Always my current 2 favorites. Right now it is C&D Red Odessa and C&D Stratfordshire.

Reactions: yanoJL
Dec 24, 2012
Maybe it's my OCD but my 25-30 open tins are kinda driving me nuts...
Yeah, I can't stand more than 3 or 4 tins open at a time so I limit my open tins to that. I guess it's my OCD, which is also what leads me to cellar in some quantity. As a buddy once said, when it comes to tobacco, I am the middle-aged male equivalent of one of those crazy cat ladies.
Right now I have open ODF, some old Three Nuns from the 90s, HU Directors Cut and Barbary Coast.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever peck says, he has a (beautifully restored and appointed) barn in which to store and enjoy his blends.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I have around 10 different blends opened right now and i just pick the one i want at that moment and fill my pipe. When something is out i sometimes open a new one of the same blend or i pick something else that i want to smoke.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Don't really have one, just have a whole bunch of tins and jars that I pull from what I want, when I want. Sometimes I find myself reaching for Maltese Falcon when all at once...
A strong, gale force wind blows in from the east with the smell of rum in the air.....
I start having visions of pirates dancing around a fire pit, drinking and singing.....
Some...mysterious force grabs me by the wrist and steers me in the direction of an open tin....
One that sits very prominently on my desk.....
One that has the delicious aroma of latakia and rum.....
And I can't help but give in and pull the lid off that tin and what do you think lies within?!
The black sails of the mighty Black Frigate, matey, that's what!
Then I start talking like a pirate as I feverishly rip, tear, and shred a portion of that cake and stuff it in me bowl!

Other times, I can reach through quickly enough to snag a jar of this or that English blend or a pouch of this or that. When I can beat back the wenches that sing songs of pure delight that steer me towards the Frigate, the possibilities are endless!

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I pick over a half dozenn bulk baggies and homemade blends for now , everything else is sealed up tight
There’s a couple Balkan types , 1Q , Kendal flake , western sunrise , a cherry aro , Dunhill EM and a borkum duff which got white and fuzzy and tossed out no love lost .

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have 26 open right now. I used to limit it down to 10, but decided to just smoke whatever I have a hankerin’ for. My Jar bill increased, but so did my satisfaction.

biguspipus

Lurker
Oct 30, 2018
Currently opened tins/bulk:

Sutliff - Aromatic English 504

Arango - Balkan Supreme

C&D - Super Balkan

Kramer's - Father Dempsey

SPC - Potlatch
Cellar/Closet:

30+ other blends, tins and bulk
I try to limit myself to 5 open tins at one time. Not always successful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess I have twenty open tins, jars, and samples available, and many sealed tins, jars I don't open, and tubs aging at the ready. No strict rotation, but I try to use everything open and available as the mood strikes me.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I probably have around 40 or 50 different blends in my cellar right now.
Currently I'm working on narrowing it down to to maybe a half dozen or so blends to cellar deep on. Tin wise I'm loading up on Capstan Blue, Escudo, and Orlik Golden Sliced. Bulk wise I'm loading up on the Stokkebye flakes (bullseye, twist, navy) as well as Sutliff's 50C Va slices, and Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices. I might end up adding HH Burley Flake by Mac Baren to the cellaring mix.
As far as open goes, I live in Las Vegas where the humidity is roughly around 8-12% usually, so I only open one tin at a time and smoke through it before opening a new tin. If I had four or five tins open all at once they'd get way too dry for me before I'd finish them. I have thought about maybe taking a few mason jars for recently cracked tins to prolong the moisture level and have more variety on a weekly basis.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I keep 12 or fewer blends in my current rotation.

That’s because they’re in jars, and the best way I’ve found to keep these jars in a neat compact place is to use the little box with dividers that came with the jars when I bought them.
Now I’ve cracked open a lot of tins to try out new blends.

Opening the tins means putting the contents into jars.

Sometimes these jars are in my current rotation box, but sometimes the tobacco disappoints and the jars end up in the cellar.

I guess what I mean is that a once opened jar ain’t necessarily in the current rotation.

One attribute of my cellar is that the jars are in a place that ain’t easy to access.

I am never sure whether I have already answered these type threads or not, but I only keep open about four blends, a Virginia, a VaPer, an aromatic, and one of the strong blends or twist to help me to go to sleep. And, as it gets colder I may add in a latakia or dark fired blend to compliment the colder season.

Status
Not open for further replies.