How Many Tobacco Blends in Your Cellar That You've Never Tried?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have this odd quirk about not wanting to paying postage. I end up ordering what I want and usually add a few "curious to try" tins. I don't smoke fast enough to try all of what I buy. I'll get there in time. I likely have around 20 or so that remain a mystery to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least 25. I'd be exact, but this thread might be gone before I do an exact account. Unpopped untried blends include Gaslight, Low Lands Cooper, Frog Cellar, C&D Burley Flake #1, Royal Yacht, Christmas Cheer 2015 (McC's), McC's Dark Star, C&D Riverboat Gambler, and so on. Oops, I did sample Cooper at the pipe show today, so I haven't opened the tin but I've sampled the blend -- excellent.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I don't smoke that much, especially during the winter months. I have 3 opened and bottled, 5 in tins. The oldest tins are 2 years.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I distinguish between my "cellar" - blends I am deliberately aging -and my "pantry" - blends that I haven't gotten around to opening yet. I also will take jars out of rotation for a bit, and set them in the pantry - or take a tin out of the cellar and place it there until I am ready for it.
The only things in the cellar that I haven't tried are the current rendition of McCranie's Red Ribbon and a tin (or maybe 2) of a recent version of Christmas Cheer. These are reliable enough that I am happy to buy the newest iteration without smoking any first.
The pantry has a tin of John Cotton No 1 and a pouch of Amphora Red that I haven't gotten to yet.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Good distinction Jud.

I doubt many have pounds of untried blends stashed. Moreso a sample or tin to see if true cellaring is called for.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have sample orders and samples sent to me by others, but those are in a temporary holding area and not always accessible to me. I take a tin of whatever I'm smoking with me and tend to keep returning to old favorites like Royal Yacht (hehe).

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I like the distinction between "cellar" and "pantry." Most of the stuff I haven't yet tried is single tins. If I have 10 or more tins of something cellared, I definitely have smoked it.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Most of the stuff I haven't yet tried is single tins. If I have 10 or more tins of something cellared, I definitely have smoked it.
Agreed. Guilty of having 20+ blends in the cellar that I haven't tried, BUT the stash includes many tins that were tried and deemed worthy of deep cellaring.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I used to have a whole bunch of blends that I hadn't tried yet, until recently. I've been opening tins out of boredom and cellaring them if I didn't care for it. Currently I'm at about 3 I haven't tried yet.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
The ones in my cellar that I haven't tried yet:
Pelican

WhiteKnight

Royal Yacht

HH Vintage Syrian

Balkan Sobranie (new release)

Full Virginia Flake

Meat Pie

Presbyterian

Elizabethan Mixture

Old Dublin

McCranie's Red Flake

Sir Walter Raleigh
So that's 12. There's still a bunch more I'd like to get that I haven't tried too! I only have 1 to 2 tins of each depending on the deal I got when I bought them. Looking forward to each one, but I'm in the same camp as the OP. I have probably 15-20 blends open already, so I'm telling myself I can open a tin when I finish off something I have jarred. Recently I opened Dunhill's 965 and it was so good it's going into the regular rotation jars. It's hard to try new blends when you have so many favorites you want to revisit!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Only one I can think of but less than 5. Butera Kingfisher. I bought the maximum allowed 2 tins about a year ago. Its hard to get and I wanted it to have a little age on it before I popped a tin.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've a terrible instant gratification issue! I have only one untried blend in my cellar. And it tempts me every single time I see it.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have quite a few blends in the cellar that I've not tried, mostly some 1-2 ounce samples from online retailers and local shops, including 6 esoterica blends. This is due, mainly, to the fact that I am currently housed in a friends residence. Ergo, I am not in my own space enough that I can smoke freely. I do, however, smoke my staples on the way to and from work. But not really much at home. But I have been picking up a tin or two per week at the local shop, so my cellar has continued to grow without me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
+lestrout. I don't know anyone with as many different blends in his cellar than Les. He probably has close to 2,000. Couple that with the nearly 100 pipes he has not broken in yet he is a local legend and my personal hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.