PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For most purposes, unless the trip is extended, I'd opt for four. In general, I find the demands of travel co-opt the time for smoking, so I'm lucky to have time to go outside the hotel or to some other sanctioned location for a smoke. I want enough to have a rotation for smoking once or even twice a day, and also a few options for which pipe will satisfy the moment. I would always take enough tobacco and not depend on finding any along the way, two or three pouches or fold-ups, different blends. And the usual one or two pipe tools, pipe cleaners, matches/lighter, and a rag for buffing. Despite having a nice leather pipe pouch, I usually opt for an old nylon shaving kit that seems to only tempt theft of deodorant and dental floss. I most often take a cob or two, and a briar or three.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have two chopped Falcons that get tossed anywhere they fit. A Ryan Alden Billiard and a Jesse Jones 1/4 Bent Bulldog that I use almost exclusively for traveL that fit nicely in a canvas roll up. For tobacco I have a small plastic container, usually Granger and I use a tobacco pouch with whatever else strikes my fancy.
It is all pocketable. No need for some scumbag thief to grab a nice pipe pouch.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
If I want to be posh I have a pair of matching morta lovats and being morta they're happy being smoke multiple times per day. If I'm going somewhere more outdoorsy then it's a falcon stem and however many bowls I feel I'll need.
I use a shaving bag to carry enough accessoires and tobacco to last the trip and that stays in the car or hotel room. When I'm out and about I use a pipe glove to carry a filled pipe with a windcap in place to stop tobacco going everywhere along with a lighter, pipe tool and enough pipe cleaners for a smoke.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
2 pipes and 4 tobaccos. I carry a smallish leather toiletry bag. It’s maybe 9” long, 3”wide and maybe 5 or so tall. It will just hold (6) 4oz mason jars comfortably. So, 4 jars and 2 pipes is an easy travel carry. Side zip pockets carry accessories and a few cleaners. If I’m going where I know I’ll have piping time I have larger version that will carry 6 jars and 3 pipes.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Usually 3 pipes, and 3 tobacco's. I have a vinyl pipe pouch that holds 3 pipes, a spot for tobacco, and a small compartment that I keep a pipe tool, and extra Flint's for my Zippo.
I just got back today from a 3 day excursion to a Tool, and System of a down concert and other things, and brought my Rossi, a Grabow with mismatched stem, and a cob with nosewarmer forever stem. After we got to the hotel and went to the concert I just brought a separate leather pouch for tobacco, and pocketed my frankenGrabow and smoked that in between sets. I only got a few looks from passers by, but all of them were smiles from ladies! Ha!

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
5 pipes. Three meer-lined as they don't need that much resting time and two simple briars. One type of tobacco, I always buy more during travels.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
1 pipe and one blend. I enjoy the self-imposed monogamy on a trip. Lets me really spend time getting to know the blend I took.
I don't smoke more than once or twice a day, and I find a briar pipe can be used pretty heavily for a week or so with no ill effects.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
4 pipes is my norm for travel. Shorter trips I take only two pipes.
Pipe shows ... well that’s another story.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Local trip, RON or a couple of days, two pipes, one blend. A week or two will require two pipes and three tins, maybe four. Keeping in mind, there always a couple of cobs, a mix of tobaccos, knife and cleaners in my gear bags and vehicle.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
1 pipe? On a regular day I smoke one bowl, so I could do it with one pipe, yes. But when I'm on my Summer 4 weeks long vacation, I smoke around 5 bowls per day. Maybe I could just try a big kiseru, I could pack it and smoke it all day long without any problems. :D

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Usually 4 pipes or so for a few days. One large bag of tobacco, and a couple of alternatives in small quantity.

I went hunting for four days recently (we got 4 deer, a lot of meat for the four of us to carry out! ) and I took 4 cobs, and a pouch of walter raleigh. Perfect combo for all day smoking round the campfire.

Reactions: Dave4211

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
When I worked I traveled a lot anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks so my choices varied with pipes, tobacco was also varied, if I was going to be on an extended trip to a place I’d not been I checked for the nearest tobacconist and their website if they had one so I could pick up tobacco whilst there.
Generally 2 Morta pipes and 4 briars were the norm for the short trips and perhaps 10 for the extended. I have several leather pipe carriers so that worked well for pipes and cleaners. Tobacco would be in tins well marked for the contents as I kept the larger empty tins for this purpose, my travels today are very limited though.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.