PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Maybe 10 really not counting pipes I don't smoke like my clay tavern pipe, and my McArthur cob, or my Baccus meer.
Come to think of it I don't much smoke out of my other meer either. Its a nice pipe and smokes pretty good. I just don't find myself reaching for it anymore. Interesting.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm close to fifty but only a dozen were brand new from online pipe stores. The rest were from ebay. I did get my most expensive pipe from ebay, a Paul Perri stunner that happens to be listed right now.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Well, I guess I'll wade in so long as my ID is kept a state secret and my wife will NEVER find out. K get your decoder rings out and prepare to swear the oath! LOL. Currently in rotation that I smoke on a regular basis are about 30 higher end pipes. Most Artisan pipes. I have another 15 or so that are work pipes and hunting pipes that kick around the truck, backpack ect. I have another 6 Meers that I love but don't travel with and a handful of cobs. At one point the count was up to 90 but I have learned to barter away for the ones I really want. Deal pending on two more right now.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Like fishnbanjo, I own just over 100 pipes of varying quality. Heck, Foggy has that many Dunhills!

Ok-- here's an approximate inventory:

3 Boswells

8 Charatans

7 Connoisseurs

6 Dunhills

10 GBDs (1960-1970)

2 Paolo Beckers

And the rest are a collection of Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson, Castello, Claudio Cavicchi, W. O. Larsen, and various others, some artisanal, some not. Do I smoke them all? Yes, but my rotation is uneven. Do I need that many? No-- I could have a good rotation with far fewer pipes, but the collection has been building for nearly 55 years. If I had it to do all over again, I would follow Michael's (Briar Blues) advice and have only a few top quality pipes. Back then, who knew? None of my three sons shows an interest in Pipesmoking, so I can't pass them down. And yet, I do smoke and enjoy them all.

Oh--and I didn't mention about 15 cobs and 6 Meerschaums.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
18 Peterson

7 S&R

4 Luciano

3 Jerry Crawford

2 Ryan Alding (Lonestar)

2 Ponomarchuk

2 Micah Redmond

2 Micah "Yeti" Cryder

2 Tinsky

2 Viprati

2 Radice (aerobilliard and morta)

1 Chheda

1 Buckeye (Smokers' Haven house pipe)

1 Chuck Sands

1 Nording

1 Wally Frank
So 49 pipes plus three cobs with Forever Stems and three Falcon stems in use.

pipesdownunder

Might Stick Around
Nov 3, 2013
I have around a dozen, and have only actually smoked about half of them. I am in a similar position of Michael.

Being a dealer I see many beautiful examples of workmanship and get tempted every week when new deliveries arrive. I think if I wasn't a dealer I would actually have many more pipes than I currently do in my personal collection.

I think getting them in, seeing them, photographing them, listing them and then selling and shipping them is therapeutic for me and helps me calm down from buying every great pipe I see! Some of the pipes that I have had in stock for a few months really start taunting me. You would think the longer I have them the easier it would be to get over them... quite the contrary! I feel like I owe them something. Like I haven't been able to set them up with their new family quickly enough and that I should adopt them to make them feel better about themselves. :roll:
Grant Batson got me on 1 delivery and I have a Briar Bird that I really love. Joan Cantó is going to be absolute superstar and I can't wait to fill up my personal shelves with pipes with his art.
I have recently gone on a little bit of a rampage on eBay purchasing pipes, and trading with friends via Instagram and stuff. I think of about 8 pipes I have acquired I will only keep 2 or so. The rest will eventually be listed as Estate pipes and forwarded on to someone who will appreciate and love them more than I did.

rockytopva

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
I'm a newbie...I only have 3: MM Ozark hardwood, Mr. Brog bent pear wood, and a La Rocca Rosa calabash briar. I can get an 1 hr to 1:15 smoke out of the first two and nearly 2.5 hrs from the La Rocca. I like the simplicity of the Ozark and it's been my fishing / ride around in the Jeep pipe. The brog allows for a change of pace and the La Rocca with it's 1.5" bowl comes in handy when I want a longer smoke. I wouldn't mind adding a straight billiard but so far haven't been bitten by the PAD bug as I've been more interested in sampling numerous blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm trying to wait until my birthday to buy the next one. I'm inventing distractions and making

the rounds through my rotation discovering pipes I haven't smoked in a while.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I still only have 22 briars and 2 cobs. I don't even average 1 bowl per day so all of my pipes get a good 3 weeks rest between smokes. If I smoked more frequently I would need more pipes but for now I am good.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I have around 20-25, but only 10-15 are smoke-able at the moment, and only maybe 10 smoke well. :(

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
12! Which means my next purchase will have to be two pipes, lest there be an unlucky 13 in my collection...
At least that's what I'm telling the mrs...

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
149! I keep trying to sell them off and get down to around 20ish. But then I see some that I like. It's a vicious cycle.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Dr. Watson;
It seems that many of us are in your boat (or Navy, depending upon the size of our respective collections)! Steve Fallon (aka Pipestud) once told me, "Unfortunately, I am a very sick man. I see tobacco and must buy it. I see a pipe and must buy it. After awhile, I decide to thin out the collection and once I get the money, I buy more pipes and tobaccos. A vicious cycle, for sure. And no cure in sight..." Amen.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
At one time I had 64, I sold off all but a couple high grades and took a hiatus from pipe smoking for a while. Now I'm up to 20 and each one is keeper IMO. I've been carefully picking up estates here and there as funds permit and only found a couple that just weren't doing it for me so I gave them to another member that was in need. To answer the question of how many pipes? My wife would say too many and I'd say never enough. The objective for me is not to have any pipes in my possession that I'd hesitate to smoke for any reason, it's nice to be able to just pick up whatever pipe on the rack, load and smoke knowing it's going to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.