PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I try to limit the number of jars I am smoking from (I have 36 in total but other open tobaccos here and there). It just gets too hard to choose what you want to smoke.
When I get bored of a blend I throw it in mylar, seal it up and toss it into long term storage, and fill that jar with a newly cracked tin.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I probably have somewhere around 70 jars. Some contain bulk that had to go into a jar right when I got them and some are from tins I just “had “ to crack.
My rotation is very wide. It’s not unusual for me to go a month of 1 bowl per day without smoking the same blend twice and even then, I disturb less than half my jars.
As with literally every single aspect of piping, it’s all preference because there are no rules. There’s really barely even “best practice” other than keep your pipes clean.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I’m sitting on about 175 open jars currently, but trying to reduce that over the next few years to no more than 20. I’m just a sucker for trying new blends, and I lack the patience to wait until all my opened jars are done before I try whatever the new blend is. It’s an illness.

I’ve been pretty good with it the last few years, but I still can’t help but crack open new or limited run blends, so for every jar I empty, a new one seems to take its place. My open tobacco shelf is bowed like, well, a bow 😂 only the threat of it collapsing has been enough to stem the tide of novelty!

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I go hybrid.
I try and be a good little piper and not open new tins until I clear a jar out.

That being said there are some jars that hold stuff I only smoke now and then or I tried and was meh about. I learned thought, that some airtime can help with that so revisit those from time to time.

Then, I just loose my control and pop a new blend to try or an aged tin of one I haven't had in a while that I like. This weekend I smoked 10 bowls and the last one was from a tin of Robert Mcconnell Scottish Flake, since it had been a couple of years. That's a jar that won't stay full long.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Not a tad, just bought several new tins, not a pad as I picked up 3 pipes recently. Tin opening disorder! It helps to know you're not alone.
Trying to stay at 4 but I have about 10 opened tins.

Reactions: Steddy
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I currently have 54 jars to smoke from. At one point I had almost 70. Of the 54, I have multiple English/Latakia blends, Virginia blends, a few Burleys, a few aromatics, and one Lakeland. It's always nice to have some variety.

As I work through certain blends and want more of the same blend or something new to try then I'll pop a new tin.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I had a dozen open tins at one time. Decided to get more disciplined before it got to be too much of a cluster mess. I now have three open tins, one Va or VaPer, one English, and one aromatic. When I empty a jar, I’ll replace it with a new blend of the same genre. The Va/VaPer jar runs out pretty often, so I’m still getting to pop a new tin once or twice a month.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
easily over 70. I don't sweat anything diminishing. I haven't had any problems with moisture loss or flavor weakening in jars. Sure there are plenty I have to jar up but I don't want to wait 3 years before finally being able to enjoy what I just bought. Variety is the spice of life. Love the choices.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I guess that's one difference for me, I don't jar my stuff (don't have the space), everything just stays in their original tins. I also generally buy the smallest size tin available for a blend though too (so many in there I haven't yet tried, so I don't know if I will like them and thus, don't want to deal with selling/trading off the ones I don't want once finally opened).

But another part of not keeping too many open at once for me is that, well I like to sit with a blend for a while to get a feel for it.

Though, if I smoke more than once in a day, if I have the time, the subsequent smokes will all be different. If I already had one blend that day, I don't want it again that same day and want something else. I suppose if I regularly could smoke multiple bowls in a day, I'd make it through tins faster and could keep more open because they'd be gone faster.

Reactions: Steddy