PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Singed

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
Three to six. Varies according to activity, weather, venue, pipe size and even blend.

I start to get a "tired palate" if I have more than 3-4 bowls for several days in a row. Kind of spoils the whole endeavor and may take 2-3 days to get my palate back. YMMV.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I smoke 2 bowls a day and 3 at the very most. Some days I don't smoke at all and replenish my sense of taste and smell. Anymore than 3 a day my pallete is overwhelmed and it isn't as enjoyable. Also, by taking breaks from smoking the nicotine is much more enjoyable as are the bowl's flavor. Moderation is key for maximum enjoyment for me. One in the morning and one in the evening is my favorite routine.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I smoke 2 bowls a day and 3 at the very most. Some days I don't smoke at all and replenish my sense of taste and smell. Anymore than 3 a day my pallete is overwhelmed and it isn't as enjoyable. Also, by taking breaks from smoking the nicotine is much more enjoyable as are the bowl's flavor. Moderation is key for maximum enjoyment for me. One in the morning and one in the evening is my favorite routine.
^^This^^

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
It varies for me quite a bit. When I’m in New York, it’s usually none. All of my pipes are in Pennsylvania. I’ve thought about keeping some in New York, but there usually isn’t enough time to smoke after work on those days. Other nights, I can usually fit in two different pipes in an evening, with each pipe lasting ninety minutes to two hours of smoking time. On Saturdays, when I watch UFC (more often than not, a six hour event, followed by an hour long post-show), I usually use a larger chambered pipe which will last four to five hours depending on the cut of tobacco. I’ll sometimes have a pipe before or after that in the more normal ninety to one-hundred-twenty minute smoking time range.
Wow that is quite a long time for a pipe. I think mz max was 60 min for one bowl.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
To me a pipe is not a nictotine drip while working, but a complement to relaxation in the evening. It is an enjoyment for when the day's work is done -- like a cup of tea. My ideal is one pipe each evening.

After surviving cancer, I thought that I'd go down to smoking just one day a week -- on Sundays. Just to play it safe.
But lately I've been smoking about two bowls each evening -- mainly because I'm excited to try some new blends.
Soon I should settle back into smoking just on Sundays (and special occasions).
Congrats to be a surviver. I think you are doing the right thing. 1 bowl a day won't kill you but you can enjoy life. Once a week makes it even more special. Good luck to your plan!

Reactions: SBC and gamzultovah

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Never understood addiction. Dude, just stop. It’s under your control. Your the king and messiah to your addiction.
As I m now becoming a psychotherapist I can give you half right. Yes in the end its yours choice but on the other side most of the famous psychotherapist were very hard smokers :D just think of freud who smoked liked 20 cigars a day. Also berne, jung, perls smoked constantly. This are people with a very strong personality. So it's not that easy as you think.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Wow that is quite a long time for a pipe. I think mz max was 60 min for one bowl.

Yes, five hours probably sounds kind of surprising, until you factor in the combination of the dimensions of the pipe and the cut of the tobacco; the chamber of the pipe is 2.75" deep and about 31/32" in diameter, and with Plum Pudding being a crumble cake, it is a little chunkier and much slower burning than something like a ribbon cut.

IMG_20231111_125854.jpg

LotusJones

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
SW Idaho, USA
0-2. I've got a cold, so zero last few days, ditto for days I'm distracted with work. Mostly I enjoy 1 bowl in the evening with a book. Sometimes I'll putter in my barn with a pipe, but still want that bowl with a book later.

Reactions: Choatecav and Tate

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I love reading these reports of smoking frequency. I am getting better in pacing my smoking and enjoying the experience. That is what the pipe is all about for me. Pace and relaxation. I usually have no more than one bowl a day, but occasionally two. Some days none. As a long time cigar smoker I find that the down side to the pipe is that I cannot do other things very well. I still have a cigar occasionally so that I can clean out the barn or do tractor work.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I love reading these reports of smoking frequency. I am getting better in pacing my smoking and enjoying the experience. That is what the pipe is all about for me. Pace and relaxation. I usually have no more than one bowl a day, but occasionally two. Some days none. As a long time cigar smoker I find that the down side to the pipe is that I cannot do other things very well. I still have a cigar occasionally so that I can clean out the barn or do tractor work.
How do you keep cigar smoke out of your nose while smoking hands free?

Reactions: Tate and Choatecav