How Long Have You Been Smoking a Pipe? And Who Cares?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

C

Corcoran-Rooney

About six months. I also used it to quit cigarrettes. It worked a treat. I started on three to four bowls a day, and now I am down to one to two. I am enjoying it too much at the moment to reduce it any further. At first I couldn't really tell the difference between blends, apart from the obvious difference between English blends and everything else. I am slowly beginning to tell the difference between blends now, as well as the subtle tastes. A week or so ago I detected the chocolate in Peterson's Special Cut. And a few days ago I finally understood how burley tastes like nuts. Have got some SG Full Virginia Flake on the way, looking forward to giving it a good smoke so I can properly understand virginia tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
About six months. I also used it to quit cigarrettes. It worked a treat. I started on three to four bowls a day, and now I am down to one to two. I am enjoying it too much at the moment to reduce it any further. At first I couldn't really tell the difference between blends, apart from the obvious difference between English blends and everything else. I am slowly beginning to tell the difference between blends now, as well as the subtle tastes. A week or so ago I detected the chocolate in Peterson's Special Cut. And a few days ago I finally understood how burley tastes like nuts. Have got some SG Full Virginia Flake on the way, looking forward to giving it a good smoke so I can properly understand virginia tobacco.
Give the FVF several hours of drying time, at the least, before smoking or you won't get the flavors in it.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
In every profession I’ve been in or any calling I’ve observed, passion has always trumped time served. I have watched young men become master craftsmen in just a few short years while watching “master craftsmen “ with 20+ years flounder because “This is the way it has always been done.” Passion is the great elevator in all callings.

Me, I’ve been smoking a pipe for 20 years and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am still woefully uneducated about the art as a whole. Smoking a pipe is just something I do that I personally enjoy; and like most other human beings, I enjoy being around other’s that enjoy doing the things that I myself enjoy doing.

Reactions: SteveNH and jpmcwjr
C

Corcoran-Rooney

Give the FVF several hours of drying time, at the least, before smoking or you won't get the flavors in it.
Thanks for the handy advice. It is morning here in the UK, and my package just arrived. I popped the the tin, along with a tin of St James Flake. They'll be ready for a smoke tonight.

SteveNH

Lurker
May 14, 2013
Some people have 30 years of experience and some have one year of experience 30 times.

Old codgers are a great resource to ask about pipes and tobacco from yesteryear. Great stories, different times, unusually people are brought up and add to the enjoyment here.

I say yes as to whether someone has had one year or 30 years with the pipe. I weigh peoples opinion, consider it with my set of circumstances and apply as necessary. If I find the opinion worthy, I continue to consider those peoples opinion when they offer it.

I also appreciate light hearted sarcasm, although it is increasing thought to be verboten. I guess I would say, "Hey you dumb ass, turn that pipe around and light it right side up, ya darn yungun.....in all my years I never saw someone as dumb as you" wink wink.

Reactions: jpberg