How Long Do The Tins & Cans of Tobacco Last?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys,
Kind of an odd question, but still being a newbie pipe enthusiast who has recently amassed plenty of tobacco due to TAD and gifts, I now have a dilemma. I have several unopened tins & cans of tobacco.
How long do these hold given that they stay sealed? Is there any proper way to store them? I know the tins are vacuum sealed, but are the cans also?
I love pipe tobacco, but there is only so much one man can smoke, lol.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The intended shelf life of tins of Pipe tobacco is generally held to

be 5 years. I cannot speak to Aromatics, as I don't smoke them. I've

opened & smoked tins that had 27 years of age and found those blends

to be excellent. Tins are time capsules.

bjeorn

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2010
heavy aros last a max of 1-2 yrs but most other tobacs last 15+ yrs as long as they are stored in a dark cool/room temp place shoe box under bed is fine.

miltiades

Lurker
Apr 18, 2010
Athens, Greece
Hello Friends

Many years ago i bought a tobacco mixture named "Creole Cavendish" from the " Epitome " tobacco shop located in New Orleans ( French Quarter ).

I need any information to contact the above shop.

Thanks in advance.

Miltiades

Athens,Greece

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Congrats Flipflop!
Onizuka, I believe as long as you don't see any rust on the tin around the seal or on the bottom of the tin, than you are good! I recently smoked a bowl of Scottish Mixture that was 35 years old and it was great!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Also, generally speaking, the flat tins that you normally see from Denmark, such as Mac Baren and the Orlik factory (like the Dunhill tins) are vacuum sealed.
However, the tins that come from Cornell & Diehl (and G.L. Pease) are not vacuum sealed.
The non-vacuum sealed tins will still allow the tobacco to age.
The vacuum sealed tins preserve it in the state that it was upon packaging.
C&D seems to pretty much be a just-in-time producer, meaning that they do not keep inventory. They produce to order. They apply a sticker to the bottom of the tins with the production date.
I have opened some tins from C&D up to 2-years old and they are perfectly fine.
I believe they last much longer, like several years.
Bob's article on Pipe Tobacco Storage has become one of the most popular on the site:
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/pipe-tobacco-storage/

mauro

Lurker
Jan 9, 2011
Ho fumato una settimana fà Standard Mixture Mild di :D 20 anni fà no sottovuoto aperta, umidificato una settimana prima e fumato più buono di prima :lol:

Buone fumate a tutti Dunhill :roll:
Translated: Lawrence
I smoked a week ago Standard Mixture Mild than :D 20 years ago no open vacuum, humidifier, and smoked more than a week before the first coupon. :lol:

Good smoked at all Dunhill :roll:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Wow Mauro! So if Google Translate works, your tin of Standard Mixture 20 years old? Was it any different than more recent versions?
-Jason

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
I had some 35 year old Erinmore last year and it was awesome. I've managed to keep aromatics fresh after 5 years and going. I buy aromatics in bulk and vacuum seal it in mason jars.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I've been devouring Greg Pease's articles on this site and his own blog, and he talks of puffing away on 50+ year old vintages. There is an original Balkan Sobranie up now on eBay for $200+ from the '80s.

@Kevin--so the vintage Dunhill tins have not aged in-tin? Is the great demand for them based on the particular 'vintage' of the tobacco that was used in that year of packaging, then?

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I've got 2 Peterson tins open for a month and 3 weeks now that are just slightly dry -- and they've been smoking much better since last week when I accidentally left them open for a few hours which is what made them dry in the first place.
I've really been neglecting them in favour of my Irish Creme (damn I love it)

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
ulsterpaddy,
That depends on many factors (some I'm sure I'll forget) such as: tobacco type, humidity, climate, etc. I've noticed a degraded taste in some in less than a month (usually ribbon cut) while on the other hand I have a tin of Irish Flake that's been open for 8 months and the flakes are still moist. I smoked one Saturday and it was awesome. Maybe some tobaccos can get better with age, even in a open tin and not aging in the accepted celler method, while some are just born to die young.
I've found it best to follow Owen's practice of putting the tobacco in a mason jar right after you open the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.