How is D&R Ryback compared to Mac Baren Old Dark Fired?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I realize the point of your post was to find a less expensive alternative to ODF, so take this for what its worth. Since you like ODF, you might give Bold Kentucky a try as well. It is priced the same as ODF, but perhaps it could be an occasional treat- say your sunday afternoon blend... I like it better than ODF.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In my limited experience, ODF is something of a unique blend, and if you enjoy it, then stock it and smoke it.

Fair enough looking for a cheaper alternative but the price difference between all tobacco choices is probably not going to matter much in the near future, with taxes being the overwhelming portion of all sales.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Morton is right. As tax goes up prices matter less. In the EU there is just no point in buying "Cheap tobacc" becuse there is no such thing. Sure you can save two or three bucks but you may as well smoke what you like. Of course there is no harm in trying something different with components you enjoy.

I didnt get sweetness out of ODF. Maybe I abandoned it too soon. I may load up a small pipe today and see what I get this time.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Thanks for posting about this tobacco. Im trying it again and your right..its nice stuff. I may have to get more. Perhaps when I got it I didnt dry it enough and burnt it too hot to get the flavors. Sometimes you just need to go back and try something again.

Reactions: MattRVA

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Unfortunate that Picayune is no longer produced, as its strength alone will scratch any itch you may have. I found Ryback to be quite tasty and unlike chasing embers, nice and strong. Of course, about the only tobacco I don't enjoy is Half and Half.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have not had Ryback, but D&R makes some very solid, natural blends. I've smoked quite a bit of Three Sails (shag VA) and Two Timer (rough cut burley), and they're both excellent. I prefer to hydrate shag cuts. They can get a little hot and harsh smoked dry straight out of the bag.
I love HH ODF, but I doubt Ryback will be a good substitute. Check out GH Kendal Kentucky. It's pure dark fired leaf. Comes in both a shag and a ribbon "vintage" cut. I've been smoking Dark Bird's Eye (a nearly identical blend) and it's pretty tasty. Smoky, nutty, rich, and just a bit of natural sweetness.
According to "she who shall not be named", Kendal Dark, Kendal Kentucky and Dark Bird's Eye are all the same blend, and have been for some unstated length of time.

Like you, I perceive a distinction between them, and maybe we got ours long enough ago that they were actually still different blends. But at this time, it's been stated that what's coming from the factory is all the same blend...

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
According to "she who shall not be named", Kendal Dark, Kendal Kentucky and Dark Bird's Eye are all the same blend, and have been for some unstated length of time.

Like you, I perceive a distinction between them, and maybe we got ours long enough ago that they were actually still different blends. But at this time, it's been stated that what's coming from the factory is all the same blend...
I have only had what was sold as Dark Bird's Eye, which I'm really digging so far. I might pick up an ounce each of the other two just for shits and giggles next time I place an order, at least to confirm that they are the same thing or so close that any distinction is immaterial.
Why they would decide to sell one blend with three different names under the same brand is puzzling to me.

Reactions: FLDRD

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Two Timer is where it's at. Plus, the not-so-subtle tin bag label is amusing.
I’ve had it a few years ago and enjoyed it. Never tried Ryback though. The D&R blends I’ve had are William’s delight, Rowland, three sails, two timer, and London Dock. My favorite two were two timer and three sails.

Reactions: Lumbridge