How is D&R Ryback compared to Mac Baren Old Dark Fired?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
I enjoy Old Dark Fired more than any other tobacco I've ever smoked. I've been eyeballing the Daughters and Ryan Ryback and Ryback Gold as possible less expensive alternatives. I'd appreciate any input as to how they compare with the ODF. I already have taken into account they are shag cut and that is no problem for me. I'm wondering about flavor and nicotine. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Ryback is much much dryer. Still obviously dark fired, but I think they are nothing alike. ODF IS much more...thick and smokey, and I get more of a sour note from Ryback Regular. If that makes sense.

***This is why I don't do reviews puffy
Do you mean dryer as in the tobacco itself is dry or dry as far as mouth sensation? I know D&R is less hydrated in the bag than typical tobaccos tend to be.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Ryback is more Virginia forward with DFK providing the backbone. Way more sweeter and lighter tasting than ODF. More nicotine however. I haven’t had Ryback Gold but I would imagine it is more Virginia. Ryback is shag, you can pack it tighter and it burns effortlessly.

As others have said, they really don’t taste anything alike other than both have DFK in them. The DFK from Mac Baren is totally different than the DFK D&R uses.

It is a great smoke and the best blend D&R has left next to Two Timer. You should try it. You could easily trade it.

Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Ryback is more Virginia forward with DFK providing the backbone. Way more sweeter and lighter tasting than ODF. More nicotine however. I haven’t had Ryback Gold but I would imagine it is more Virginia. Ryback is shag, you can pack it tighter and it burns effortlessly.

As others have said, they really don’t taste anything alike other than both have DFK in them. The DFK from Mac Baren is totally different than the DFK D&R uses.

It is a great smoke and the best blend D&R has left next to Two Timer. You should try it. You could easily trade it.
One thing I like about ODF is the sweetness in the aftertaste.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ahh. But, in general, what are the differences?
Really about the only answer I can give with no other point of reference mentioned by the OP. Perception of taste can vary widely from individual to individual. I can only say that there is a night and day difference between the two.

Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Really about the only answer I can give with no other point of reference mentioned by the OP. Perception of taste can vary widely from individual to individual. I can only say that there is a night and day difference between the two.
I guess what I'm really getting at is does Ryback actually scratch the DFK itch or just tease it. I like G&H Kendall Kentucky occasionally, as well. I'm not necessarily looking for a dead ringer for ODF just something reasonably suitable.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I guess what I'm really getting at is does Ryback actually scratch the DFK itch or just tease it. I like G&H Kendall Kentucky occasionally, as well. I'm not necessarily looking for a dead ringer for ODF just something reasonably suitable.

I don’t think there is any. Each Blenders DFK taste different. Mac Barens isnt like GH DFK which also is nothing like C&D DFK

Reactions: wolflarsen

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do you mean dryer as in the tobacco itself is dry or dry as far as mouth sensation? I know D&R is less hydrated in the bag than typical tobaccos tend to be.
That's it! Just physically dry. But that's how I prefer my tobacco, so it's a win win.

Also I should mention, that Ryback regular ghosted my pipes pretty good. That was the first tobacco I dedicated a pipe to.

Reactions: Cracklin' Tobaccy

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I have not had Ryback, but D&R makes some very solid, natural blends. I've smoked quite a bit of Three Sails (shag VA) and Two Timer (rough cut burley), and they're both excellent. I prefer to hydrate shag cuts. They can get a little hot and harsh smoked dry straight out of the bag.
I love HH ODF, but I doubt Ryback will be a good substitute. Check out GH Kendal Kentucky. It's pure dark fired leaf. Comes in both a shag and a ribbon "vintage" cut. I've been smoking Dark Bird's Eye (a nearly identical blend) and it's pretty tasty. Smoky, nutty, rich, and just a bit of natural sweetness.

Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
I have not had Ryback, but D&R makes some very solid, natural blends. I've smoked quite a bit of Three Sails (shag VA) and Two Timer (rough cut burley), and they're both excellent. I prefer to hydrate shag cuts. They can get a little hot and harsh smoked dry straight out of the bag.
I love HH ODF, but I doubt Ryback will be a good substitute. Check out GH Kendal Kentucky. It's pure dark fired leaf. Comes in both a shag and a ribbon "vintage" cut. I've been smoking Dark Bird's Eye (a nearly identical blend) and it's pretty tasty. Smoky, nutty, rich, and just a bit of natural sweetness.
Yes, I enjoy the G&H Kendall Kentucky from time to time. It is quite good. Best sipped slowly to really bring out the nuances.

Reactions: Lumbridge