PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I'm not asking about the proper way to break in a pipe or build up cake in the bowl: I always just load to the top and smoke to the bottom, but I read something the other day that got me curious. I read on a website somewhere that a suggestion for building up good cake in a bowl was to take the ashes that were left in the bottom of the bowl, sort of stir them up a little, put you hand over the bowl and give the bowl a shake, coating the inside of the bowl with the ashes. I have been trying this with a new pipe that I am breaking in and I can't seem to tell whether or not it is helping. So I guess the question is: Do the ashes in the bowl help the cake form better, or is it the actual physical act of tobacco ignition what causes the carbon buildup in the bowl?

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I would say it's a bit of both. Burning tobacco leaves a layer of carbon, but cake is built by ash as well. I've made a habit of stirring up the last bit of ash near the button of my pipe to help build cake with pretty good results. The ash sticks to the residual moisture and heat seems to help firm it to cake.

Jul 15, 2011
That was kind of the answer that I was leaning towards but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the insight! Good to know that I am not the only one that practices this.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Cake is usually a flour, milk, eggs, sugar, dash of salt, baking powder sort of thing. I think it's yummy!

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
On real clean sorta smooth bowls of a PAD estate pipe, I still put a thin coat of black strap molasses inside the bowl & ash really sticks to side of bowl. A friend told me I should use organic molasses. (cmon, spare me. Its molasses, going into a fire chamber). :puffy:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My grandfather used to put ash back into his Prince Albert can and stir it up. When he loaded his pipe, some ash would go back in.

Jul 15, 2011
Thats an interesting method, TopD. I might have to start saving some ash from my smokes and try that. In any case, I have been using the ash from my smokes to coat the bowl after I smoke and letting it sit for a while, and the briar is breaking in nicely. If I get some time here after a bit Ill post a pic of my progress.

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
Hmmm I'll have to try using ash to help build the cake I usually just wipe the inside with a paper towel and put a pipecleaner or two down the stem. Lucky for me I have a new pipe to break in so I can also try this method :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.