PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
Käptn Barsdorf Dark Fired Kentucky.

Seriously - per weight it's the cheapest pipe tobacco i've smoked until now (also, the "tin" consists of a plastic lid and a paper body), yet it's absolutely one of my favourites. If you were to send me of to an island for the rest of my life and i only could have this stuff, i wouldn't be too unhappy about it. How? Why? Any contrary opinions? Is it actually bad and im just deluded? So many questions... :D

Last edited:

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
cobs are cheaper cause it is easier to grow corn then harvest briar.
that's a pricing difference that makes logically makes sense - but growing tobacco should be about the same, shoudn't it? of course, blending, curing and so on add on to that, but that couldn't account for the difference thats present here - after all, its about a third or fourth of other "quality tobaccos".

just to be clear, i don't want to be a penny pincher about it - i'm just wondering :)

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Imported blends here in Argentina cost a fortune due to them being heavily taxed. Home produced blends are a quarter of the price yet hold their own in quality against famous blends like Samual Gawith and C&D.

Reactions: woodsroad

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
that's a pricing difference that makes logically makes sense - but growing tobacco should be about the same, shoudn't it? of course, blending, curing and so on add on to that, but that couldn't account for the difference thats present here - after all, its about a third or fourth of other "quality tobaccos".

just to be clear, i don't want to be a penny pincher about it - i'm just wondering :)
nope it wouldn't be. Some strains are more productive larger leafs and such. Some can grow more in a smaller space. Land and water are of different values and costs. And even more

Reactions: itsnotuitsme