How do You Watch your Stories? Now With Recommendations!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
New Accessories
5 Fresh Brighton James Pipes
24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
You're one of the few here who I'd guess has probably seen Henry Fool. If not, I think you'd like it.

Actually I have not and planned to look it up later this afternoon as it's the sort of peculiar comedy I like. Every watch the British sketch comedy series The Fast Show?

Reactions: brian64
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Well Puff, I usually take all of my mason jars that have recently been emptied of bulk tobacco. I put them all in a row on the coffee table. I grab several packs of pipe cleaners, and begin the process of swabbing them clean of any all traces of their previously held contents. I too like a good high pour, so I take a swabbed jar, capture as much fresh air as I can with an upward swoosh, and then do a high pour of fresh air between all the jars until they no longer smell like tobacco, and instead smell like my living room.
I find that I too, only end up catching bits and pieces of my stories. I've been on Season 1 Episode 1 for 3 years now.

Jan 27, 2020
@brian64 I watched Henry Fool yesterday. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I'll be thinking about this film for a while... It reminded me of Whit Stillman's (Barcelona etc.) and the French director Éric Rohmer's films, but much more imaginative, indescribable and surprising. Have you watched other Hal Hatley films? Not sure how I missed him- I must have a blind spot for some 90s American "serious" cinema as I was watching older stuff on VHS at the time.

Reactions: brian64 and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have been thinking for several days, what the hell am I going to write here. I don't know if it's worth it, I see the computer in plaid jammies or pajamas, without socks. I go to the kitchen, get apple, walnuts and almonds and yogurt.YRx5Q.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: warren and brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@brian64 I watched Henry Fool yesterday. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I'll be thinking about this film for a while... It reminded me of Whit Stillman's (Barcelona etc.) and the French director Éric Rohmer's films, but much more imaginative, indescribable and surprising. Have you watched other Hal Hatley films? Not sure how I missed him- I must have a blind spot for some 90s American "serious" cinema as I was watching older stuff on VHS at the time.
Glad you liked it...I don't think I have seen any of his other films. I actually have it on VHS (funny you mention that)...I watched it 2 or 3 times, but it's been many years...you inspired me to give it another viewing soon. I dug it out and found some other old tapes I forgot I had that I should watch again. I haven't hooked up my tape player since my last move 6 years ago.

I was looking at Hartley's IMDB page and see that he actually did a sequel to Henry Fool called Fay Grim based on Parker Posey's character. I definitely need to get that one.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
3 great movies that skewer and dismantle "TV news" that everyone should see are:

1. The masterpiece, and one of the greatest scripts ever written: Network.

2. Much lesser known than Network, and very different in a number of ways, but nevertheless, a truly great film imo with a stellar performance by Nicole Kidman, To Die For. This one is not directly about TV news, but focuses on the malignant narcissism of someone dreaming of being a TV news personality. Kidman is a complete narcissist but also incredibly naive, and the combination of the two are deadly.

3. Not nearly as good as 1&2, but very few movies are, and this one is still well worth watching, Nightcrawler, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo.

Last edited:
Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Glad you liked it...I don't think I have seen any of his other films. I actually have it on VHS (funny you mention that)...I watched it 2 or 3 times, but it's been many years...you inspired me to give it another viewing soon. I dug it out and found some other old tapes I forgot I had that I should watch again. I haven't hooked up my tape player since my last move 6 years ago.

I was looking at Hartley's IMDB page and see that he actually did a sequel to Henry Fool called Fay Grim based on Parker Posey's character. I definitely need to get that one.

Well, hope the VHS isn't wavey or such. I guess you can just blow on it like we use to do in olden days. I wish I had a garage or basement to put in a clunky TV and VHS player. I feel like I'm talking about getting a hand crank phonograph player or something.

I only started to realize in the last year or so how much I like Parker Posey. She's a worthy 90s icon. Way better in hindsight than Winona.

Think I'll watch this HH film tonight, if so I'll let you know how it is.

I very much agree about Network. Have you seen Being There? If not, it's a must see. Never saw To Die For but shall look into it. Nightcrawler was good but felt a bit like a really long muscle car commercial. I forget what he was driving but it was pretty badass...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, hope the VHS isn't wavey or such. I guess you can just blow on it like we use to do in olden days. I wish I had a garage or basement to put in a clunky TV and VHS player. I feel like I'm talking about getting a hand crank phonograph player or something.
Good point...I haven't used the VHS player since getting a digital TV...I never stopped to think if it will even work with it.

Have you seen Being There? If not, it's a must see.
Oh yes...a few times...classic, great film. In fact I've been thinking of watching it again...it's been quite a while.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good point...I haven't used the VHS player since getting a digital TV...I never stopped to think if it will even work with it.

[Re: Being There]
Oh yes...a few times...classic, great film. In fact I've been thinking of watching it again...it's been quite a while.
Being There One of my favorite all time movie. It's available to rent for three bucks on a dozen streaming services. For me, the few bucks are well worth seeing it in HD vs. a potentially scratchy and lo-rez VHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.