How do you start a pipe collection & tobacco stash on a budget?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
What is a stinger? Is it the metal part on certain pipes such as older estate pipes? If so is there a way to take them out?

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I also use ebay a lot. I, however, like my Kaywoodie's stinger. I believe the so-called "drinkless technology" actually helps. It certainly keeps ash out of my mouth!

I actually bought another Kaywoodie just yesterday. Damn you, PAD!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
As a relatively new pipe smoker, and also one that works on a limited budget, I would suggest you go to your local tobacconist and see if they have a "Starter Kit". My nearest tobacconist does such a thing.

The Starter Pack

Here is a selection of items to complete all that is required to get the best out of pipe smoking:- McGahey Briar med billiard £35.00, 50grms of Brandy and Virginia from out Loose range £9.04 100 Pack of Tapered pipe cleaners £2.15 Pipe tool £1.95 Pipe Sweetener £2.50 Total £50.64 send Special delivery of £6.50=£57.14 This will be sent at a special price of £55.00
£55 is roughly $85.
These starter packs are very good value for money. Since the aim of the tobacconist is to try and get you to come back for more, they are unlikely to give you duff information or products. I've never met a tobacconist yet that sells 'snake oil'.
Your tobacconist will probably also give you good advice on what type of tobacco to start off as he won't want you to take the first few puffs, and in the words of 'cortezattic' end up feeling like someone has just attacked the tip of your tongue with an ice pick.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
For pipes Ebay might be the best bang for your buck. You can get "lots" of pipes for pretty cheap and they will require a bit of elbow grease.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190439723606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
This lot would be a great starter set. I was thinking about it myself but the wifey would have my arse since my PAD has been in full swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.