PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm in the restaurant business, so long days. If I get home by 6, I either try to get some exercise in (8-10 mile bike ride, elliptical machine/bike on fluid trainer, if weather keeps me inside) OR yardwork. We only go inside when weather drives us in. With Fall upon us, I'm running out of daylight for bike rides (just got him at dusk this evening). Winter gives me a little more tv time. I always read before bed (11 PM typically). I'll also usually undertake a big job on the MGB during the winter months. This winter, refreshing the suspension is on deck. Try to squeeze a pipe in as time permits!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m self employed and essentially work all the time, but if I’m not working (whatever time of day or night) I enjoy movies from the 30’s through the 60’s. If it’s strictly a day thing I either go shooting or hang out. If I’m traveling I generally just read. Oh, I drink bourbon. Sometimes enough, sometimes too much and sometimes just to brain cell erase.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Or any other free time, really.
I have work and three, soon four kids, and at this point in life there just isn't much time for anything else.
What I do with the 1-2 hours after the kids are tucked in is sometimes work, some reading, watching some Netflix series with my wife, stuff like that.
I'd like to read a lot more. I'd also like to have more time to use my skills as a carpenter in and around my own house and on my own boat, than on everybody elses.
And I would like to actually use my boat to go fishing some more, and my feet to hike the many mountains around here.
Well, there will be a time for that.
Anyway, what do all of you do, when you're free?
Are you still involved in the Traditional Faroese Chain Dance? I enjoy the videos on YouTube, Ebbe Skammelsøn, being my favorite. It's something I'd like to see in person...I guess I need to plan a trip to the Faroe Islands.

Reactions: workman

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I have plenty of free time at this particular stage in life as I have just finished a terminal (emphasis on "terminal" :LOL:) degree and I'm currently underemployed. I spend that time on my mountain bike, hiking the desert and mountains of the SW, the occasional round of golf, and stargazing. My other major hobby aside from pipes is amateur astronomy. They go very well together!

The irony is, I just spent the past six years insanely busy with full-time graduate school, and both full (for the first two years) and part time employment, during which I longed for more free time to pursue my non-musical passions. Now that I have such free time, there is no small amount of anxiety about what will come next in life.

If there's anything I've learned in the process, it's to try to enjoy each moment for what it is, without prejudice or worry. This is much easier said than done, and obviously some are able to practice this art more than others. I hope to work towards the day I am able to achieve this more fully.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Are you still involved in the Traditional Faroese Chain Dance? I enjoy the videos on YouTube, Ebbe Skammelsøn, being my favorite. It's something I'd like to see in person...I guess I need to plan a trip to the Faroe Islands.
Yes I am. It's a winter thing, and this winter may become a little different, with covid-19 disrupting things.
You'd be welcome.

Reactions: scloyd

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
With COVID things are a bit different than normal, but most evenings after leaving the office I make dinner with my girlfriend and either pursue some video games or read, enjoy a pipe, enjoy one of my other hobbies, go for a walk etc. I do generally travel to martial arts classes twice a week, but with all the restrictions that hasn’t been as frequent. I have many hobbies all competing for my time though: fly fishing, DnD, video games, shooting, skill toys such as yoyo or kendama, backpacking, Tae-Kwon-Do and probably a few others that slip my mind.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
First of all, I consider any time after work “free time”. I have two young kids and one adult child and two grandkids.
I like to spend my free time with my family. Watching tv together, eating together, going for walks, camping, sitting by the fire. My family is not a job to me. I enjoy being with them most of the time.
After the kids go to bed, I generally spend time with the wife. If we are not spending time together then I go downstairs and smoke and read, hone razors, or some other hobby. Or I visit with some friends either in person or via phone.

Between working for myself, and volunteering as a Debate Coach, making wine, farming, and constantly hustling a buck, I have to plan out my days carefully, and erratically. The only thing set in my schedule is that my eyes pop open at 5AM every morning. But, in the evenings, Mrs Cosmic and I usually enjoy dinner on our back deck, a glass of homemade wine, and me, my pipes... and just discuss the next day's plans, or enjoy a movie or series outside, or just stare off into the bamboo grove, trying to figure out what is making noise out there.

Reading is just worked into the schedule, like paying the bills... I do it regardless of whether I have the time or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.