PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
youngsmoker,

I smoke 2-3 bowls a week and have been doing this for about 4 years without any problems with my teeth yellowing.

I would recommend brushing well after your smoke, and sprinkle some baking soda on your toothpaste.

The baking soda and toothpaste will remove any tobacco stains and aid in whitening teeth.
And, it leaves your mouth minty fresh.....

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
regular cleaning at dentist, they are what they are, caps crowns & all.
Ditto!
When I see excessively white teeth on middle aged folks I always wonder if they are caps or implants. 8)
I think good oral hygiene is important to your overall health.
When I smoked with filters on everything I learned which tobacco really stained my filters ergo my teeth. I still use carbon filters for really moist aromatics. Most Va's and VaPers unless they are really strong do little staining on a filter so I would deduce not so much tooth stain.
Looking back to the period when I did not smoke shows plainly, in my case, coffee is by far a bigger offender.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Got all mine at 72, what works for me is I do a lot of outdoor work on the farm, tan a lot and the contrast between the tan and use of a lot of Hot Sauce makes them appear whiter than they are. Thought about inventing camoflouge toothpaste Don't see em ! Might work, who knows! Besides who wants to look at an ugly old man. :nana:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Grandchildren love to look adoringly at ugly old men. Especially the one showing them how to chuck a ball, fish, amble aimlessly, whittle and other important life lessons.
At my age I go twice yearly to the dentist for cleaning and exam. Staining is a fact of life for smokers, look at the crap you spoon out of the bowl or what's trapped in a filter. What you don't see is what's going across your teeth or up in smoke. Smoking means you need to pay more attention to oral hygiene than a none-smoker.

ronzi83

Lurker
Aug 6, 2015
Use sodium bicarbonate and brush it for 5 -10 min, thats secrets dentists are using it. Tested
PS: one pipe for me plz for cheap and free advice ;)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Smoking means you need to pay more attention to oral hygiene than a none-smoker.
Ditto, Warren
My point was if it made the filter look bad the same thing was going over your teeth. The filter just gave you an immediate visual of what was going on. I still maintain some tobacco is more staining based on what has been added.

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
I use Biotene or Botot Toothpaste and sprinkle some activated Charcoal on the paste once it's on brush and go to town.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My suggestion would be to avoid the fluroide, a known toxin
Sadly the internet is full of Cliff Clavins who have zero knowledge of chemistry and physiology but broadcast their ignorant paranoia with authoritative-sounding words that convince gullible readers who likewise lack knowledge, who then innocently and with good intentions pass it on until bullshit takes over from fact. Fluoride is only toxic if ingested, and then only in high per/weight doses. Using fluoride toothpaste and/or rinses there is zero chance of toxicity if you spit it out, and remains virtually zero even if you accidentally swallow a little once in a while.
All shellfish contain above-average concentrations of fluoride, so if toxicity were an issue, cases of chronic fluorosis would be overexpressed in populations with high shellfish consumption in their diet. It isn't.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Unlike ciggies, pipe smoke doesn't pass over my front teeth, so smoking doesn't affect the color. Other aspects of oral hygiene are important in any event.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide and some baking soda
This is a really good recipe.
I would avoid against hippie toothpastes like Tom's of Maine -- for me, they fail to get the job done!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My advice would be to get one of those Sonicare tooth brushes. They're amazing at getting gunk out from between your teeth and massaging your gums. I'd also suggest using mouthwash. If you feel your mouth is getting a bit dry switch to Biotene, otherwise any will do. Floss daily, this can't be stressed enough. Helps ward off gingivitis and plaque. You can also get a water pick. Usually Target or WalMart has them at a reasonable price. You mix up some mouthwash with some water and it sprays a jet of water at your teeth like at the dentist's office. That helps tremendously.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
I brush with toothpaste with baking soda using my Sonicare toothbrush

I used Targon mouthwash for years as it was great but they discontinued it due to kids drinking it

I just ordered Pearl Drops {supposed to be the closest replacement} thru Amazon $14.95 for 2 bottles shipped from England

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Being a red wine drinker of note, one of the ladies in my wine cub suggested the following:

''Wet your toothbrush, apply a little toothpaste to the toothbrush and coat the toothpaste and sides of the toothbrush with a quarter teaspoon of Bicarbonate soda. Gentle brush your teeth should see results in a week or two.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bicarb is of course an abrasive substance (toothpaste contains it already). So would you be happy to use micro-mesh pads on your teeth?
The mind boggles :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, pipes don't yellow teeth as much as cigarettes, as normally you clench the pipe pit behind the front teeth..but normally I just brush my teeth thoroughly then use listerine mouth wash.. and never had a problem

Mar 1, 2014
would you be happy to use micro-mesh pads on your teeth?
That's not far off what the dentist does every time you go for a cleaning, and they use air tools.
The problem is whether or not you're actually going to do a good job of it, get even coverage, or catch the tough spots that need picking.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Personally Im not worried about what anyone thinks of my appearance,if they don't like me now Im sure they wont want to come see my corpse.

Reactions: Danny Boy
Status
Not open for further replies.