How do I Clean A Blasted Natural Finish?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I have no illusions or need to get the pipe looking like new again but Ive got an estate coming that has a nice blast and a natural finish (Blonde). There is more rim darkening and darkening around the rim and the upper chimney of the pipe than I would like. Is there a way to go about properly cleaning this up? Its just got a little more aged look than I would like. IMHO there is a look of age and a look of neglect. To me its a bit over the line.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Hmmm...I thought it was just yellowed from use. Again, I dont know actually how yellow it is since the person selling it didnt use color ballanced lights. Maybe use an oil soap and a toothbrush?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
Some in-hand photos would probably help. The pipe does look like it's stained.

In any case, you'll need nothing more than a paper towel (or towel towel works too I guess) and a little bit of water.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
This forum has told me its ok but its been a lifetime of avoidance when it comes to wood and water.

Yes I need to see it. Like the look of the shank and the even darkening. The top is just too much. Even if water or soap and water will take care of the high spots I think I will be good to go.

Ive never smoked a il Duca. Hopefully its a good smoker. It looks like someone enjoyed it. At least with an estate I don’t have to shell out five bills or more to find out.

Two Pipes Crossing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2023
Austin Texas
If there is darkening of the rim and top, it could be cake, or darkening from the wood being cured from the heat

If the latter be the case, there isn’t really away to do away with that as that is a common thing that happens with all pipes and more so evident in lighter stains and naturals finishes.

Though could really say unless it was in hand or at least some detailed photos of the area in question.

Some people think re-topping a pipe will solve what I’ve stated above, truth be told that the internal wood circumferencing the entire chamber top to bottom will have that heat curing affect, for lack of better words.

I could be completely be misunderstanding what you are getting at and going in a different subject than you have in mind.

P.S. In regarding the picture posted, I think it looks quite lovely.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Thanks. The previous owner says its not a contrast stain....just in need of more cleaning. I will know when it gets here what color it actually is since it was lit poorly. Im definitely not retopping it since its blasted on top. I also dont mind some darkening. but Id like it a little more even and less splotchy. Of course I may just learn to like the smoked look.

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

Pyrodoc

Lurker
Dec 5, 2023
Arlington, Texas
Thanks. The previous owner says its not a contrast stain....just in need of more cleaning. I will know when it gets here what color it actually is since it was lit poorly. Im definitely not retopping it since its blasted on top. I also dont mind some darkening. but Id like it a little more even and less splotchy. Of course I may just learn to like the smoked look.
Rusticated pipes can be a challenge to clean for sure! Here’s my two cents. I would start with Dawn Soap, hot water and either a melamine sponge or light synthetic pad. That’ll knock off the surface grime to see where you’re starting. Dry. Next, 190 Grain with a toothbrush. You will see that takes much of the char/grime off, though when dry, you are likely going to see white lines of crusted wax in the rustications. A cloth or toothbrush scrub with CIF, which I prefer to Soft Scrub and/or moistened baking soda with a good hot water rinse & dry. Using wooden toothpicks the remainder of gunk can handily be removed manually, though that takes a minute and a little patience. For finishing, you can use carnauba and a buffing wheel, though IMO that’s a setup for the problem you just remedied. Given that high quality briar, a few micro-fiber cloth polishes with a couple drops of Jojoba 100 % Pure Oil (actually a natural liquid wax blend) will bring the shine up nicely and will enhance the briar contrasts. Repeat applications in the future after light cleaning will always keep that pipe nice. Enjoy. That’s a gorgeous pipe and I hope you get it just the way want it without settling on the aesthetics. I attached a pic of one I did similarly for a client last week.👍

IMG_1829.jpeg

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Thanks @Pyrodoc I get the idea but none of those cleaners other than alcohol are in France. We have garbage dish soap. I dont know why dawn isn’t here. Maybe some of the chemicals are banned. No softscrub. But I get it. I will start with least intensive and work into it.

It’s definitely going to be a little project and then I’ll decide what to light up. I probably wont have it until next week since it came from Denmark.

Reactions: Pyrodoc

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you're usually a lot more blunt about these things. It's kind of weird for me to feel certain on a thing like this while you show that level of restraint. That's all. It's just my dumbass way of saying that looks stained to me and not heavily smoked at all.
Not at all. If that darkened from smoking, an unstained pipe looks more like this.

FB_IMG_1707254294361.jpg20231127_172402(0).jpg

The photo in the OP is showing grain like a contrast stain.