PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Long timers here might still remember me, although I've been mostly quiet for years now.

I unfortunately have a worsening and worsening sense of smell and taste (which incidentally is why I picked up pipe smoking to start with - it took bold scents and flavors before I could smell or taste anything). How bad? I smoked some jarred Penzance and McClelland 5100 and can't tell the difference. So I opened a sealed can of F&T Cut Virginia Plug. Still no difference. Can't smell or taste any of it. So other than the meditational qualities of smoking a pipe, the tobacco is now lost on me.

I plan to offer up most of my cellar for sale here. My question is, do folks like to buy one tin at a time? 5 tins of the same? A mixed bag of 3 to 5 tins? Miscellaneous groupings? Groupings by brand? By type (VA, VaPer, Burley)?

If folks will chime in as to what they'd like, I will start posting tins for sale. I think I have upwards of 400 tins. The newest is from 2016.

Mods - I hope this is/was the right place to post. If not, please move or delete.

Thank you all.

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
Sorry to hear of your situation. I too have lost taste since the pandemic but I still have some enjoyment.

I agree any more than 4-5 tins represents a financial problem for some.

Look forward to your offerings

Kindest regards,
Rudy

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Dangit.
As a new pipester I have a hard time buying large lots because I’m mostly still looking to find what I really like.
Even when there’s something I know I like I’m usually financially not in a position to take advantage of large lots.

Reactions: jmatt

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah - unfortunately, my loss of smell is unrelated to COVID. It been a 30 year long process, kind of like how many people lose hearing over time. I believe it's genetic-related. My adult son has had several surgeries to try to restore his sense of smell. Too late for me.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Yeah - unfortunately, my loss of smell is unrelated to COVID. It been a 30 year long process, kind of like how many people lose hearing over time. I believe it's genetic-related. My adult son has had several surgeries to try to restore his sense of smell. Too late for me.
That’s rough, I can’t imagine losing the ability to enjoy a favored pastime/hobby etc.
Well, I got clean and sober a long time ago, but that’s different (even though the same spiritual remedy could apply😉).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm a rather strange person. I don't do business with anyone I might be in commutations with for any duration of time. If money gets involved, that better not be one of families, friends, band mate, or forum members. This, from my short 56 years on this planet, keeps the life more or less tolerable.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
The easiest way to buy would be on a tin-by-tin basis, just like how the online stores sell, but that's probably harder to deal with if you're trying to sell 400 tins and you're just one person.

If it has to be lots, my personal preference would be to buy a single lot of the same blend, or maybe the same type of blend. I'd be more likely to buy 4 tins of CVP (of which I currently have zero) than say, a random assortment of different blends. I think categorizing the lots would be a good idea. Like: straight VA; English; Va/Per etc.

One more thing. If the tins are being sold "CONUS only" I won't even look at the thread, so international shipping would be a bonus if you can swing it, and you might sell your tins more quickly.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Honestly, if you're posting blends and I'm buying to add to my cellar, I have no qualms putting back 10+ tins of a single blend if some combo of age, production status, and price is moving me to act in the first place.

That said, what I mostly see on the board is either single tins of highly desirable blends or 4-5 packs of something that is more "normal."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Sorry to hear about your circumstances. You should ask yourself if you want to ship your inventory one tin at a time. Based upon my own experience, you don't. Given the cost of shipping, it also doesn't make any sense. And packaging will cost more than you think when you ship a lot.

I would recommend, based upon my experience, requiring the purchase to be $100 minimum. Therefore, if you want to list a lot of something "per tin", the buyer has to purchase at least $100 worth to make it worth your time and keep shipping costs under control. That way, you could for example, list 24 tins of a given blend and offer to sell per tin.

The other thing to keep in mind is the site rules limitations. You can only list one sale per week, 10 items per sale. Unless you want to drag this out over a long period, that precludes listing individual tins.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Have you looked at Pipestud.com ? You could send him your cellar and for a Reasonable fee he will sell it all off for you.
Sorry for your loss of taste and smell. Best wishes going forward.🤙
That was what popped into my mind as well. With as many tins as OP has, it maybe less of a hassle to just pass that headache onto Steve.

Reactions: B.Fee

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
That was what popped into my mind as well. With as many tins as OP has, it maybe less of a hassle to just pass that headache onto Steve.
Yes - I've talked with Steve, and even met him once years ago at the Chicago pipe show. The more valuable stuff he would take, but aged $10 tins rather might be worth $20 aren't in his wheelhouse. But he's definitely a solid guy and a great resource.