PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If you are looking for a rum flavored tobacco get yourself some LorAnn Oils Rum Emulsion. What you are doing is adding a topping, not a casing. The alcohol/rum will burn off when you light it. An emulsion is water based and will not burn off like an alcohol base. It would be a good casing to use if you want to taste the rum as you smoke.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I usually use a little plastic spray bottle. The last time I used much sweeter liqueur instead of a stronger spirit. Haven´t tried the tobacco yet as it is still in the press for another week.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
You guys are WAY overthinking this, but which may be helpful to other readers.
My goal is to take a tobacco that I don't like the flavor of it, and make it something I do like, and maybe at the same time calling it a "Navy Flake" knowing well that the use of rum does not make necessarily make it a Navy Flake. That's it, nothing more.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
stvalentine, the best way I've found to take a tobacco I'm not crazy about and improve it is to blend it with some others that I do like and find a way to use each's best qualities to combine to make something better than the sum of all the parts.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Yes, that´s the easiest way to get something from those rejected tobaccos. I have a jar here with my "house blend" that gets constantly refilled with leftovers or tobaccos that I tried but not particularly liked. It´s VA/Bur heavy but is my daily smoke.
The thing is if you want to infuse tobacco with a new topping, casing or any aroma is is quite difficult to get that taste into the very stubborn tobacco. There is a reason why the manufacturers use steam and pressure.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I have a great recipe for navy flake. I just get up five days a week and go to my job or go fishing. When I get my check from the job every couple of weeks, I just place an order for some navy flake. Easy peasey lemon squeezey!

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
So I can announce "somewhat success".
The Chonowitsch T167 has been soaking in a coconut rum for a little over 2 weeks. Last night I began the drying process. All day long I looked forward to trying it out tonight...
The rum did change the flavor of the T16, but not as much as I had hoped, but I think I may have dried it out too much??? Well at least now I can smoke it.
And I think I'll go though the process again; afterall, it only costs about $1.50 for the little bit of rum.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Cranse, you mean put it in a pot on the stove at a low temp while stirring constantly?

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Well, not quite. Get a two ounce tin for your tobacco, or other appropriately sized container, place your tobacco in it and cover with tin foil with the folds to the bottom side. Bake in the oven for three to six hours at about 190 degrees. It really changes the flavor of the tobacco. If you do a forum search for "Baking Tobacco" you'll find more information. I had some Briar Fox I just didn't like and stoved it for three hours and it turned into a very good smoke afterwards. Best of luck on your project.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
So the "Great Experiment" failed :(
But the total loss was only the $4 I spent on the rum, oh and the can of Chonowitsch which I was planning on tossing out anyways, and the several hours of bake time, but I don't mind that. All in all it was worthwhile, and if I thought I'd get different outcome, I'd do it again.
Now off to smoke a bowl of Frog Morton :)

Status
Not open for further replies.