PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sounds like you’ve got quite a nice collection there, Cosmic.
Off subject: where has Deathmetal been? Don’t tell me he got the boot, too?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Video- Me? I am too shy. Not really, but just not into videos. Besides, there's nothing to it. I run a whole bunch of water through the chamber and out the stem. Sometimes I get the whole pipe wet, sometimes not. Sometimes the finish needs buffing, sometimes not. In all cases, I now take that opportunity to wipe down the stem well, something I've too long neglected.
As to a pipe swelling due to a hot water rinse, nonsense, unless the mortise-tenon gap is large and it's not dried, say with a Q-tip. Much more moisture is introduced during a smoke at a much higher temperature- that's what makes wood swell if it does.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Son of a! That is a crying shame! What happened? My PM is always open. I’ll smoke one for him tonight, I still have a bunch of his blends that he so graciously gave me. Another good man down!

onematch

Lurker
Mar 10, 2018
Wow! Thank you everyone for the many opinions and discussions on the topic of hot water washing pros and cons. It looks to me from reading the post here and on the original thread that like the topic of pipes or tobacco, options very. As I stated above, in 44 years of enjoying the pipe I've never heard of this, and now, well I guess I know as much about it as most thanks to you all. I'm still not totally sold on the idea, but someday who knows, I may try it out on a cheep no name pipe just to see.

I don’t think anyone here is proselytizing the practice. It’s your pipe. You can clean it however you want. I also never saw a reason why I couldn’t pull a stem out of a hot pipe. I break down and clean my pipes right away and have never had a problem. I was bawking at a friend at the pipe lounge, so he decided to try it. His big old ham hands just yanked the stem out like pulling a pin out of a hand grenade. And, low and behold his stem warped and didn’t fit. So, if someone is shaky on the concept, and I talk them into it, next thing I know someone out there will end up hamming up the process, and blaming me for messing up their pipe.

If what you are doing works for you, then just keep on doing it. Aint nothing wrong with that. :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One thing that has not been mentioned here is the necessity of using a bristled pipe cleaner during the hot water flush.
My method is to remove the stem (which is cleaned separately) and get the tap running to hot, which in my house is scalding hot. Allow the water to enter the bowl at a steady trickle while vigorously using the bristled cleaner in the shank. It is a combination of the hot water and bristled cleaner that gets the job done.
I then use my hand towel on the outer bowl and a scrunched up tissue on the inner bowl ending with Q-tips in the shank......my pipe is now clean.
I do this every few weeks with no ill effects to date. BTW it's a good idea to ream the bowl afore doing the flush.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"As to a pipe swelling due to a hot water rinse, nonsense, unless the mortise-tenon gap is large and it's not dried, say with a Q-tip. Much more moisture is introduced during a smoke at a much higher temperature- that's what makes wood swell if it does."
I thought I could add something to clarify a misconception: When the stem is difficult to remove, it's a result of the briar pulling in moisture and expanding (The mortise [hole into which the tenon goes] actually expands inward as it swells), or the tenon expanding (rare). If the stem is left out of the pipe for some time, it may be difficult to reinsert as the lack of moisture means no lubrication. And if it's left out long enough to shrink, the mortise hole will expand so the stem will be loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.