PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Hard to say, if the briar had a weak spot, but firing up the very bottom to smoke the last bits has ruined many a pipe. Smoke slowly and if it goes out in the bottom, empty it out. On the next time, you might be able to smoke it fully.

I have only once scorched a pipe like that and it was not cheap, a Rovera. It was clearly my fault as I tried to light the last pieces of a fold and stuffed MB Navy flake. I applied a layer of pipe mud (ashes and spit), closed the cracks and smoked only ribbon mixtures with great care in it for a while. Worked out fine and the pipe is still smoking great. I would not continue to smoke it like that, as the ember will go into the cracks and kill the wood from the inside.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I had the same issue with a new pipe. Covered it in a pipe mud patch and now it's a good smoker. I'm a pretty heavy puffer too.

Aug 14, 2012
Burnout. It must have been a poor piece of briar, if it wasn't another wood. You have to smoke VERY fast to get anything like that otherwise.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
+1 on most of what was said...If you're using a propane torch for a pipe lighter that could also explain it..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.