PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TPLavin

Lurker
Oct 12, 2020
I'd consider myself an amateur smoker, but one thing that I was told is to hold the bowl to your cheek & it should be warm, not hot. But my bowl is constantly very hot to the touch. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and J.GANDY

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Some pipes just get hot. I have a volcano that stays hot no matter what. All else is covered above. I just had to relight my OJK a few times from smokung slowly and its pretty dry to begin with.

Reactions: J.GANDY

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Relighting pipe tobacco doesn't make it taste any differently, but puffing too fast or hard to try a keep a visual cherry on top will absolutely make your tobacco burn hotter and taste worse.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
What tobacco and how you pack is key to you heat as these gentleman have said. My bowls get pretty warm but i can still hold them. I smoke mostly OTC blends and gravity fill the bowl. Some of my brands smoke cooler than others. And the pipe also makes a difference. I am far from an expert but I have several pipes of the same brand and they all smoke different

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People have addressed the things you might do differently that would produce a cooler smoke. Also, some pipes with thin bowl walls heat up more and have to be handled by the stem, as do many clay pipes. Most standard pipes like Dr. Grabow or Savinelli (and many other brands) remain cool enough to hold by the bowl through a smoke, as do MM cob pipes.

Reactions: Old School 3319

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Pack lighter, smoke dryer. Another tip for beginners, when you are done smoking while the pipe is still warm, rub it on your nose, the oils will give you a instant shine!