PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Thats because cigarette packs never looked like a tumor-filled anus before.
:laughat:
I will never look at the lung-cancer pack the same. Found this site; has pack warnings from around the world...be warned, some of them are brutally graphic - Iran and India are definitely NSFW or with kids in the room...

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
i have a feeling cig holders and pack holders will go though the roof
They have down here. and its illegal to sell them without the gory outer. yet due to increased violence and the advent of Medical tv, most are pretty desensitised to it.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
actually, collecting the packs for the gory pics was what I used to do here. Sadly here in Anglia, they only have a tiny amount, so after about ten packs and pouches of tobacco during my cig days I had the lot. No one bats an eye at any of them.

Funny thing is on pouches of Alsbo and peterson tobacco, you can peel off the warning without much effort. Sadly it a part of the label on dunhill tins.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
What's next? Pictures of dead squirrels on .22 cartridge boxes. When will our nannies in Washington actually DO something that benefits the public?

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Wouldn't it be great if by law campaign posters would have to include humongous photos of what the candidate supports.
Photos of:
War

Torture

Abortions

Strip Mining
That'd be fair no?
I hate politicians,....I'm gonna smoke a bowl of Frog Morton and chill out. :puffy:

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Irony alert! Remember just a few weeks ago when the photos of a dead Bin Laden were considered too gruesome for public consumption? This really is absurd.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Wouldn't it be great if by law campaign posters would have to include humongous photos of what the candidate supports.
Photos of:
War

Torture

Abortions

Strip Mining
That'd be fair no?
I hate politicians,....I'm gonna smoke a bowl of Frog Morton and chill out. [:puffy:]
Here here! Better yet, tattoo it over half their face...just like the warnings cover half of the cigarette pack. In fact, lets make them follow the same advertising laws they've put in place for tobacco - so, basically, no advertising what-so-ever, just one-sided articles, siting random figures pulled out of thin air, extolling the evils of the candidate.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Well we've had the gory photos here in the Uk for years and not many cigarette cases floating around in public here

What I have noticed is an increase in people smoking roll ups. The tobacco is cheaper than packet cigs. Still get the gory photos but their hidden on the inside of the pouch flap :)

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
A good analogy to the cigarette pack horror photos would be to force Ford, Chevy and the other automakers to put a huge photo of a bad car wreck on the hood of every new car. Would anybody stand for that? :crazy:
When are we going to put our collective foot down and say "ENOUGH!"?

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
Yeah in Canada we have had these for a while and I get them even on pipe tobacco. This is just another case of people trying to bubble wrap the whole world for the protection of poor people who are obviously stupid and can't make decisions for themselves.
It's funny because these warning labels simply don't work. This is a fact and it shows only how non-smokers don't understand smokers. The reason people smoke is not because they don't know it's bad for them! Seems obvious but it makes those adds seem very stupid doesn't it.
I spent a year smoking cigarettes and I quit but it has been like an anthropology experience on the community of smokers which I have come to respect. The stigma towards cigarette smokers now just makes me sick. Like jimbo said: how about we put pictures of mangled corpses on new cars?
I actually read a funny article recently on a bogus petition to completely ban the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide". The petition collected hundreds of signatures and the dangers of this chemical were shown in examples such as: "it is a major component of acid rain, it decreases the performance of automotive brake pads, causes perspiration...". For those of you who have not caught on dihydrogen monoxide is water and I hope the people who signed that petition felt like jackasses for trying to ban water in America. Aside from being hilarious this bogus petition shows just how ignorant and afraid people are of "dangerous substances".
And isn't it hilarious how the government taxes the tobacco companies but subsidizes the oil industry which releases all those same toxins which we breath and more. Hilarious isn't it.
Woo that was a satisfying rant.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I smoked cigs (to which I frequently refered as coffin nails) from age 12 to age 27. The only child-directed advertising I ever saw was adults and older friends who smoked cigs. The reason I quit had nothing to do with our Nannies in Chief and everything to do with getting tired of hacking up lung cheese every morning and losing enjoyment of the smoking experience as a whole. Had those packs been out back then, I would have collected them like Pokemon cards and tacked them to my wall.
People really need to think before agreeing to let the government create Defacto agencies that can arbitrarily creat laws "for our own safety".

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
All the photo strategy is going to do is bring back cigarette cases, which have more class anyway.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I save the trouble and drink Black Death Vodka with the Skull on the label. Any vodka named after the bubonic plague is a warning on its own.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
Does alcohol cause more death than tobacco? Great question. Unfortunately we are likely to never know. When you smoke one cigarette a day you become "a smoker" and your cause of death is written off to tobacco as much as possible. Giving ridiculously inflated statistics. Alcohol too causes cancers of the mouth and stomach and other places, however this is attributed to alcoholism. It's odd that for alcohol there is a distinction between heavy and light consumption where in tobacco there isn't. A smoker is a smoker. Smoking causes cancer. End of story. And then there's drunk driving and drunk violence which also cause death. People don't generally smoke a pipe and get into a bar fight leading to a 6 man stabbing. Lots of factors they're like apples in oranges in a way. But as I said before I don't think we'll find the real answer to the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.