Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I imagine you'd have to be very careful and patient to make sure all of the honey was extracted out of the wood if they legit soaked the entire pipe in it. If there's still honey left in the pores, I'd think the pipe could weep honey when being smoked. I'd expect you'd need to keep the pipe under heat for an extended period of time to make sure it's leached entirely through. It's a tempting thought to try and see what happens some day.

Just my own thoughts. I've done full walnut oil soaks a few times but that eventually polymerizes so the weeping part wasn't a concern.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I imagine you'd have to be very careful and patient to make sure all of the honey was extracted out of the wood if they legit soaked the entire pipe in it. If there's still honey left in the pores, I'd think the pipe could weep honey when being smoked. I'd expect you'd need to keep the pipe under heat for an extended period of time to make sure it's leached entirely through. It's a tempting thought to try and see what happens some day.

Just my own thoughts. I've done full walnut oil soaks a few times but that eventually polymerizes so the weeping part wasn't a concern.
After seeing this, I'm not averse to the idea of soaking my pipe in oil. They certainly smell fantastic for a while, and I like the idea of getting any dryness out of the wood.

GodGcRu.jpeg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The coating on the Eltang required sanding.

I've had Petes where a 12 hour cotton ball and alcohol soak loosens/softens the chamber coating sufficiently for it to be wiped off with paper towels

I just take them out of the box and scrub out the coating - water, no alcohol. I probably buy 4-5 Petes per year, and it's always been the same process. I've got a few that are still in the box with the coating - maybe I'll document the process on one of them. I'm thinking a 2023 Terracota POTY, as that's one I've been thinking of smoking.

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
At the time I had never smoked a pipe with a pre-coated bowl, but understood the idea behind it. I had no idea it was going to be that awful. I don't recall if I tried to wipe it out or not, but I do recall it wasn't a pleasant experience. LOL I've only ever had one other pre-coated pipe and I believe I used some sandpaper to remove most of the pre-coat and then wiped it out with a paper towel before smoking it. If memory serves me correctly. I'm definitely not a fan of pre-coated pipes.
Interesting thank you

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It was a Peterson that came with a pre-coated - treated bowl, and it tasted awful.
Yeah same here, I don't know what that crap they put in new Petersons is, but it was a gunky plastic mess which really did taste AWFUL. I reamed the pipe to bare wood and it was fine going forward.

As to soaking the whole stummel in honey sounds like bullshit to me, won't do anything other than make the pipe sticky and will require washing afterwards which will promptly remove any honey given briar is more likely to soak some miniscule amount of water than any honey.