Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I saw an auction on ebay where they said their pipe had been 'honey cured'. So I asked them about it, and the conversation went as follows:

Me: "Please explain 'honey cured' to me. Is this something you do to a pipe, or is it stamped on the pipe. I've never heard of it, so just asking. Thanks."

Seller: "Yes it is something you pretty much soak the wood in, it is supposed to give it a little bit of a flavor"

Is honey-curing a pipe really a thing?

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I am not aware of "soaking the wood" in honey but this did remind me of Yello-Bole.

Ybole.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I've learned something today, so thanks for that.

The pipe in question is just plain butt-ugly. It looks like they scrubbed the daylights out of it with acetone, then did nothing further other than to soak it in honey. Unfortunately the pipe in question had been loaded with fill holes, which the seller neglected to re-fill :)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's best with local honey in case you have an allergy against local flora. Go to a local farmer's market, and got locally harvested jar of a local honey. Make sure to get one big enough to hold your pipe. Put the pipe in the honey jar for a week or so. Dump the honey, and pipe in the trash can after that week. No need to pick out the pipe. The honey making farmer won't take the honey back.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It's best with local honey in case you have an allergy against local flora. Go to a local farmer's market, and got locally harvested jar of a local honey. Make sure to get one big enough to hold your pipe. Put the pipe in the honey jar for a week or so. Dump the honey, and pipe in the trash can after that week. No need to pick out the pipe. The honey making farmer won't take the honey back.

The sandpaper ebay restorers were bad enough, but now we've got the artisan pipe restorers.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've only ever put honey in one pipe. It was a Peterson that came with a pre-coated - treated bowl, and it tasted awful. I smoked multiple bowls of Carter Hall in it to try and get some cake going, and to cover up the awful taste, but it didn't work. I then put some honey in it, and it helped but still took multiple bowls to get rid of the awful taste.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I've only ever put honey in one pipe. It was a Peterson that came with a pre-coated - treated bowl, and it tasted awful. I smoked multiple bowls of Carter Hall in it to try and get some cake going, and to cover up the awful taste, but it didn't work. I then put some honey in it, and it helped but still took multiple bowls to get rid of the awful taste.
First thing I do when I receive a new pre-coated pipe from Peterson, is wipe it out with a wet paper towel. It takes about five minutes

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
First thing I do when I receive a new pre-coated pipe from Peterson, is wipe it out with a wet paper towel. It takes about five minutes

At the time I had never smoked a pipe with a pre-coated bowl, but understood the idea behind it. I had no idea it was going to be that awful. I don't recall if I tried to wipe it out or not, but I do recall it wasn't a pleasant experience. LOL I've only ever had one other pre-coated pipe and I believe I used some sandpaper to remove most of the pre-coat and then wiped it out with a paper towel before smoking it. If memory serves me correctly. I'm definitely not a fan of pre-coated pipes.

Reactions: bpinkstaff

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
At the time I had never smoked a pipe with a pre-coated bowl, but understood the idea behind it. I had no idea it was going to be that awful. I don't recall if I tried to wipe it out or not, but I do recall it wasn't a pleasant experience. LOL I've only ever had one other pre-coated pipe and I believe I used some sandpaper to remove most of the pre-coat and then wiped it out with a paper towel before smoking it. If memory serves me correctly. I'm definitely not a fan of pre-coated pipes.
I am not either. I remove the bowl coatings in all of my new pipes.