PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I was wondering what home products to use to wax a pipe, I was using a drop of olive oil for the stems and just a little dab of it on some of the pipes, I have also heard that lip balm is good to wax the pipe, but what about blistex, can i use that to wax my pipes?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ear Wax works well. All-natural, non-toxic, briar-colored.
stock-photo-54525602-ear-wax-on-cotton-swab-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
ewww, i will pass on that one, but hey probably not a bad idea, some use spit to clean the rims of the pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Eeeewwwww! Though my Q-tips look like that, sorta, after cleaning out the mortise.....
Mineral oil won't turn rancid, whereas olive oil will after time. (Though it's usually wiped off and replaced before that happens).

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Or just buy some real wax. For less than 20 bucks you can buy a small can of wax that will literally last for years. Works great on both stems and briar and is applied and buffed by hand.
Renaissance Wax - 65 ml

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
what about lip balm, i have blistex, is that good or should i pass, I have mineral oil somewhere, need to look for it.

May 4, 2015
Mineral oil - the kind branded as a "digestive lubricant" in the pharmaceutical section of the store costs like $2. I like what it has done to my stems and natural finishes.
I've also buffed some beeswax on for protection and have no idea if it's useful or not. But I've done it.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I always use trusty old nose grease on the briar. I have some obsidian which does a great job on stems, but never even considered it for bowls.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
mu cousin got stung by a jelly fish once, and he had to pee on it, to stop the pain.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Urine isn't sterile.

Just sayin'."

Actually, fresh urine is sterile assuming it has been passed by a healthy person. During WWI in the trenches urine was used as a disinfectant when nothing else was available.
Some (Asian) Indians actually drink their own urine of a morning though I would rather have a coffee myself :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Oh boy. This is stuck on pee now. It is a piss parley. A urinary correspondance. A weewee chat. A tinkle talk.
I, for one, am amazed by the number of you talking about nose grease.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Woods I've got both of those and both work great. I can't really tell the difference between them.
As far as the OP question I wouldn't use blistex, if you have a hobby lobby or micheals you could pick up a pound block of beeswax for about 10 with the coupon. As far as anything else you may have lying around you may worry about the taste or smell when heated. The beeswax can also be used around the house for various other reasons too.
Beeswax is better for meets or clay to bring out the colors. It's also not as hard as carnuba wax either so it won't shine as well. Good luck

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Beeswax. Just beeswax. I've been using a 2"x 1/2" disk of it for something like three years now, and still haven't really made much of a dent in it.
Nose oil? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.