PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve really been impressed with pressing (I wrote that without initially realizing the pun, but please assume that was my intent). I’ve made two presses blends so far, and reserved a bit of both in loose form to compare. The pressed versions are both quite different than their loose counterparts, and in my opinion better.

I sent an email to the admin address asking for a dedicated sub forum, so hopefully they will respond

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Sounds interesting. I have a Frog Morton Cellar Ghost blend sitting in a jar with a small glass of Ancient Age whiskey in the middle. The base recipe is from Eric thebluecollarpipesmoker on you tube. The glass of whiskey is my way of infusing it into the tobacco. My next project is to do a pressing, I have some potlatch from SPC but it’s missing something. I think I’m going to add Perique and press or some sort of aromatic.
Any thoughts appreciated
Tony B
Stick, I'd be really interested in how you feel your Potlatch turns out. I like that blend a lot and would like hear your thoughts on how it changed, etc.

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
Stick, I'd be really interested in how you feel your Potlatch turns out. I like that blend a lot and would like hear your thoughts on how it changed, etc.
Well I tried both blends today. Both make potlatch better I think I’m leaning more to the Latakia ratio 1:1 . Next I have to make a press and try it that way.

Reactions: chopper

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
+1 for the home blend sub-forum. I would be interested in many of the avenues people could share. Does anybody make their own Rope? Where do you source your leaves? How can this blend be improved? Plans for home made presses. Ageing techniques. ect...
Hello, on YouTube there is a couple of videos on pressin, one guy uses a tin can, one uses pvc pipe and the other is made from S.S. Square tube with open ends. One end for the bottom is stationerie and the other a piece that fits the inside of the tube that presses the tobacco down, the he comments that ( name) will make you one for about $100 & SH. Hope this helps I’m going to make mine using pvc.

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
Depends on how you define blends methinks. If mixing store bought blends into something new I think there might be enough interest in it. But if you're talking about base tobacco and creating something new out of nothing, while still super cool, it would limit the amount of people I think
You can find blending tobaccos at pipes and cigars, perique, Latakia, orientals, Virginia’s and burleys, black cavendish and maybe some others.

Reactions: diamondback

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Hello, on YouTube there is a couple of videos on pressin, one guy uses a tin can, one uses pvc pipe and the other is made from S.S. Square tube with open ends. One end for the bottom is stationerie and the other a piece that fits the inside of the tube that presses the tobacco down, the he comments that ( name) will make you one for about $100 & SH. Hope this helps I’m going to make mine using pvc.
I’ve made several presses in my time. I still have, and use, my Apple press, a screw press made from scrap wood and an acme screw, for making cider, and a hamburger press, a lever style press made from pvc, for preping burgers for the grill. A sub-forum about blending seems like the ideal place to share design ideas and discus the pros and cons of each.
Regards,
Dale

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
If I knew where to find more information on the subject I would give it a try.
i did make a Frog Morton cellar ghost from a you tube post but a little different I mixed the tobaccos and put a small glass of ancient age in the middle of the tobacco so it would infuss the tobacco. Let it sit for 2 months. I like it the only option i have..

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have a homemade press made out of PVC and a clamp. The clamp is only rated for 1200lbs of pressure but I have found that depending on the mix of tobaccos it works. The only trick is some are pressed in 2 weeks while others take four weeks. I currently have a blend of turkish, latikia and burley in the press. Should be ready in two weeks. :)

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
Ok, this Is what I found at the thrift shop. It’s a jerky maker. I loaded it up with about 6 oz. of my FM cellar ghost and pressed. I lined the tube with parchment paper so it should be easy to get out when the time comes.I need to find another name for this blend.

Attachments

• EEAB428B-22DC-4F08-B929-2CADEB246002.jpeg
    EEAB428B-22DC-4F08-B929-2CADEB246002.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 8