PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Why does everything need a label? Is there a definition, for the act of trying to overly define a noun?(i.e. hobby in this case)
I smoke a pipe. Done.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The part that is the hobby is learning about pipes, pipe brands and shapes and origins and materials, and gaining expansive knowledge

about tobaccos, blends, storage, aging, mixing/blending, and sources. The habit part is having a smoke be part of your day, at a defined

time and place, usually, and taking pipes when you travel. The bad habit part is smoking too much, all the time, and having some activity

or work dependent on smoking -- but everyone has to draw their own boundaries there. I can't do it for others. I feel it is a bad habit when

I decide in the morning that I'll take a day off, then I have a bowl after supper anyway. Just seems like a subversion of will. Moderation in

all things.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"The part that is the hobby is learning about pipes, pipe brands and shapes and origins and materials, and gaining expansive knowledge

about tobaccos, blends, storage, aging, mixing/blending, and sources. The habit part is having a smoke be part of your day, at a defined

time and place, usually, and taking pipes when you travel."
I would agree with your view 100%. And therefore a pipe smoking stranger who does not engage in the learning about pipes & tobaccos would not be a pipe hobbiest. The problem therefore comes then in trying to determine if they are a hobbiest or not before engaging them in conversation and being rebuffed.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I'm the old guy down the road. I have a few pipes for circulation's sake, and I have a couple of occasional aromatics, but other than that, I couldn't care less. I have my everyday tobacco, and it's better than the shit that they put in cigarettes and the accompanying lung problems. Avocation or not... /shrug

Frankenstein, just being here puts you way beyond the one pipe, one tobacco guys. My friend Hank smokes absolutely nothing but Prince Albert in his one Grabow. He would scoff at anything else. A true codger. At 0ver 70, the idea of a pipe store or ordering tobacco is weird to him. He would have absolutely no interest in discussing anything pipe related.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Indeed, for many the pipe is a vocation. I suppose a hobby could become an obsession and, if kept under some semblance of control still be a hobby.
The more I read here the more I find myself moderating my thinking. I am now at the place where I except the idea that person who smokes one or two pipes or less a day, simply as a diversion or a reward, may be classified a hobbyist. Whereas, one who smokes throughout the day is simply a pipe smoker. A person who collects, but does not smoke, pipes is certainly a hobbyist. I do not think they would be referred to "pipers" in our understanding of the word, though they are certainly pipe enthusiasts and hobbyists.
Now, someone who smokes all day and also delves into origins of pipes, blend characteristics, investigates different manufacturers, collects pipes, basically does more than simply smoking a pipe, has combined his hobby with his addiction and is referred to as . . . God only knows what! Which I believe many members would qualify to be referred to as . . . (we need a term). "Pipe Smoking Hobbyist" is too much of a mouthful I think. PSH?
My conclusion is that unless one sells pipes and/or tobaccos as a vocation, or only smokes as an addiction then "hobbyist" is an acceptable sobriquet. Now the question becomes should there be a special term for the "smoker hobbyist" so as to keep misunderstandings to a minimum. Should smoker/hobbyists be required to wear certain clothing or jewelry so as to easily be identified in bars or such ( a not particularly arcane reference to another thread.)?

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Frankenstein, just being here puts you way beyond the one pipe, one tobacco guys. My friend Hank smokes absolutely nothing but Prince Albert in his one Grabow. He would scoff at anything else. A true codger. At 0ver 70, the idea of a pipe store or ordering tobacco is weird to him. He would have absolutely no interest in discussing anything pipe related.
You may just have a point there, Cosmo. :idea: :puffy:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Is someone trying to poke the bear? Seems like several references to another rather active discussion of late, lol."
Not trying to poke any bear. The OP of this thread referenced the other thread (which was essentially closed by it's OP and subsequently fell of the page) because that's where this idea of the act of smoking a pipe as a hobby came from. I don't care how you classify the act of pipe smoking (hobby or not), but thought it was rather uncalled for to call the pipe smoking stranger a dick just because he obviously didn't think of it as his hobby. No one really knows anything more about the man.
Nuff said on my part.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Well I see that I have created much consternation. Perhaps that was a subconscious intent of my post. Because I find the "argument" moot.

@smorg my second post I said "it is what it is for you" my point being and from the beginning was and is who cares what we call it why we call it that. We all love the tobacco and the pipes. Codger or not,in pipeaddict or tourist...I find the need to label it a waste of time. My apologies. i just dont think we spend our time on here to discuss our 1 blend in our 1 pipe...and the young punks smoking their foo foo blends.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Can we define what it means to be a "codger" now, please?
Is there an age requirement?

Years spent smoking a pipe?

Is there a limit to the number of pipes I may own before being removed from codger ranks?

Is there a limit to the number of tobaccos I may smoke?

Must I have an unpleasent disposition which causes others to avoid me?

If I am 81 years old, have smoked for 80 years, own one pipe and smoke one tobacco, and have a terribly unpleasent disposition, but am not avoided by others, because the tobacco I smoke is Molto Dolce, do I still get to be a codger?

Status
Not open for further replies.