PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have this video meme in so many different ways. But I had not seen it in reference to pipe tobacco. Hilarious.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To quote my grandfather, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story."
Your grandfather sounds like a lot of fun!
My grandfather had a bit of the wild as well. He taught me how to spit, which for awhile buoyed my status. in the car if a woman was walking within vocal distance he'd lean out the window and yell "Hey Mabel!" He said had he not married my grandmother he'd have become an alcoholic. As it was he drank his share of cheap beer but never caused problems. He would eat dinner and walk to the bar, which was what he knew to do.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, I had seen one of these a couple of years ago dealing with the climate change thing. Hilarious.
But how do we know what he smoked?

You mean the actual character? Nothing. It's a well-known fact that he was anti-smoking, anti-alcohol, and anti-meat.
His propaganda machine even printed signs aggrandising him for being such a wellness-oriented person. This is on display in the Deutsches Historische Museum:
DS-_MG_0401.jpg

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
"Yeah, I wonder which actual movie is the source."
It's called 'Downfall' and it is a remarkable film from 2004 which won numerous awards. It details the last ten days in the bunker before the death of Hitler and stars Bruno Ganz. I don't speak German so I personally can't tell, but I read once that he totally nailed Hitler's Austrian accent.
Mike

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
But how do we know what he smoked?
I think he meant Stalin. He smoked cigarettes and pipe and cigarettes IN the pipe. This has been covered numerous times and if I remember correctly, there are reports of him smoking Edgeworth. I think the Royal Yacht story is pure myth.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Hitler did not smoke, drink or ate meat. There was a health conscious craze and he wanted to embody that as a head of state.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's called 'Downfall' and it is a remarkable film from 2004 which won numerous awards. It details the last ten days in the bunker before the death of Hitler and stars Bruno Ganz. I don't speak German so I personally can't tell, but I read once that he totally nailed Hitler's Austrian accent.
Mike
I agree, the original movie was very good. I lived in Austria as a young boy, and those accents were spot-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.