PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Anyone know the history of this site? Did it previously publish a physical magazine? If so, when did that discontinue? When did the forum become prominent? I'd be interested to hear about any of the history how how this site came to be.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Anyone know the history of this site? Did it previously publish a physical magazine? If so, when did that discontinue? When did the forum become prominent? I'd be interested to hear about any of the history how how this site came to be.
PipesMagazine.com is the name of the web site; the owners never published a physical magazine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wanna know more about Starcat!
It was about a decade ago. And, depending one's point of view, represented a mental breakdown, or a mass therapy session.

It happened about a month after a political discussion here exploded, as they always do because we always have a coterie of infantile tribal shitheads here, with said infantile tribal shitheads cursing out the mods and the admin because they tried to restore some semblance of order. People were posting to each other that they should drop dead, fry in everlasting torment, that sort of thing. which is why political discussion is forbidden here, even though the infantile tribal shitheads still try to sneak around it. They cannot be taught.

A lot of people got banned, and posting here dropped to almost zero.

Every now and then, a brave soul would post about a recipe for chicken soup, or something equally innocuous.

Then, one day, a member here dared ask a question about a Peterson that he bought. Starcat, another member here whose postings could occasionally detour into the metaphorically metaphysical, got involved in it. I had originally tried to give a straight answer to the poster's question, but after Starcat's loopy response, I just decided to give a loopy one of my own.

Next thing I know, the thread has taken off with members jumping in with all kinds of stream of consciousness silliness, as well as hot topics like whether chili is a soup or a stew, sandwiches, and lots of weird and often hilarious stuff. I posted Bambi Meets Gozilla, and Kate Upton floating around in zero gravity in a teeny bikini as well as other stuff. The thing took off like a rocket, reaching around 1000 posts over several days before getting shut down. It was a blast, everybody had fun with it, and the forum began to recover.

But, political discussion is done here, except for the sneaky infantile tribal shitheads, and they eventually disappear.

Then, one day, a member here dared ask a question about a Peterson that he bought.
It was a really vaguely worded, drunken question like... "I have problem with pipe that is a brand, sometimes criticized for bad quality." He never said Petersons, but he was talking about a Pete. And, he didn't have a specific problem and the wording read as if he was drunk... which was why the thread took off like it did.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Don't forget Tajer - the forums very own home grown answer Hezbollah with his obsession with BIC lighters, applying Dead Sea mud to your 'O' ring and novelty anti-semitism. Last seen at Tehran Hooker Magazine posting pictures of pipes from a website!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Kinda hoped that name would've been forgotten by now....
Heh, I was kinda jocular in my comment above. Kind of, because it happened before my time but every now and then I've seen the name brought up and the way it is hints at some watershed, traumatic, landmark, hilarious moment in the history of the fora that really piques one's curiosity.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Heh, I was kinda jocular in my comment above. Kind of, because it happened before my time but every now and then I've seen the name brought up and the way it is hints at some watershed, traumatic, landmark, hilarious moment in the history of the fora that really piques one's curiosity.
There's been a couple real big blowouts since I've been here. Fun stuff!