Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A hipster is someone who is hip.
According to some definitions of "hip".
For example I shave with a double edge safety razor that is older than me, rather than plastic razors and I prefer to fix up an old thing that was built to last by a previous generation than to buy a new thing that probably wont last anyway
I use cheap disposable double edge thingies, as they give me a better shave than the 15 bladed monstrosities that cost five bucks each. And I buy things I think will last, except for cell phones. I also like antique furniture when I can find it cheaply. But I am not hip be almost any definition.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I only have three categories in my world. People I like, people I don't know or care about and Aholes. I see no reason to break it down any further than that, I like keeping things simple.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The move away from parents starts in junior high, and the young adult doesn't really welcome them back into his fold until about 30. In between he is thrown to the wolves of the youth culture for a workable and satisfying place amongst his fellows who are equally immature by experience and brain function which is incomplete until about 30. In this group acceptance is everything, and being deemed cool or hip is the apogee of that acceptance. No one knows what they mean, and in any case though they would seem to be bestowed by the group, they are really more about an inner certainty that one is superior.
The Beatles were cool. Just look at some of the footage of their early performances, which to mne evidenced a tight musical style played with verve and joy. They were very cool, and they knew it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
There was a wave of hipster hate in this group, but I think it was mostly a joking matter. I'm just waiting for the next trend to be made fun of and hoping we pick up enough of them so that pipe making stays alive longer.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Hipsters always look like they are on a Peaky Blinders casting call.
Peaky-Blinders-Hair.jpg

Yeh, obviously if someone hates someone for the way they look, they're an asshole.
The funny thing was that the guys who were spearheading the hipster hate were themselves rather strange looking and bizarre. (in some perspectives)

I can't tell the difference between a hippie, hipster, hip-hopper, or hipaa violation. Don't know, don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.