PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
My wife thought 1792 smelled like hot garbage

That's one of the best lines I've heard in a long time!

I only judge it as good because when I re-enter a room a while after smoking it, smells good to me. Probably not the most unbiased way to judge though

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
Thanks all for the replies. Quite helpful.
If you can get some of the G&H aromatic twists like coconut twist, maple twist, vanilla twist that would be ideal. There is a rum twist that's readily available but it's pretty much a straight tobacco taste. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/28/gawith-hoggarth-co Here's a list of everything they have with room notes in the reviews.
Of the G&H ropes, I have had the Black Irish X, Happy Brown Bogie and Rum Twist. The rum twist had the most flavor (I found the others a bit lacking in that department), but I am pretty sure I was picking up a Lakeland essence along with the rum flavoring. I have never smoked a Lakeland essence-ified tobacco before, so it was something. Not sure I am quite there yet in appreciating those. I'll have to try the coconut twist next, that sounds intriguing.
I am a big fan of Royal Yacht, so it's nice to know that it might be agreeable to others as well. With my weird nose, I find a freshly opened tin smells like chocolate chip cookie dough.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Royal Yacht? Really? Whenever I smoke it everyone near me complains about the smell. Even my cigarette smoking friends. I am going to vote for Erinmore Flake. I think that's the best you can get for a medium high nicotine blend.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@texmexpipe
The Yacht is meant to be enjoyed in a leisurely manner, I find. I always get a little bit sad when the bowl is over.
@Ahmad Othman
It is a light smoke, but one of the most comfortable blends I have experienced. Light topping, so low "topping bite"... very low, in fact. It has become a favorite, and the fact that it is on sale at SP makes it more difficult to resist. Good find on your part!
@deathmetal I agree, it is sad when the bowl is over and sadder when it's the last of the tin
And thanks :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Another vote for the RY. At the last "Buy Two Get One Free" sale, I grabbed 6x5 packs of Yacht, but I'm not allowed to smoke it until 2021 :(

Rules are rules

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
If it's the anti-smoke people you're worried about, then I'd say a simple but philistine approach is to throw a little bit of aromatic in with a robust blend. Sense aromatics don't tend to add so much to the taste as they do to the aroma, the smoker can enjoy his nicotine and tobacco while the others enjoy the aroma.
Again, there are certainly people who appreciate the aroma of non-aromatic pipe tobacco, but if it's the whiners you're worried about, that probably doesn't apply. Also, it's actually quite difficult to predict what people will say smells good and bad. Even from the whiners I've gotten vastly different responses.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Call me selfish but I smoke for my pleasure and my pleasure alone and couldn't give a hoot what other people think of my tobacco. If they don't like the smell of it they can just go and sit elsewhere.
Just my tuppence worth :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The question in the OP raises a good point. In general, higher nicotine blends, often non-aromatics, often do not please bystanders' senses of smell. In general, the higher the nicotine, the less pleasing the room note. I think 1792 is a blend best suited to a designated pipe (maybe a cob?) as it will linger in a pipe and impart its taste and smell to other blends long after, or so I've heard.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
One odd thing that I forgot to mention in my earlier post, I get compliments almost every time I smoke Old Joe Krantz and they are usually very enthusiastic compliments from women. Very odd I know, I thought I would get a bunch of dirty looks.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Gallahers rich dark honeydew had a wonderful captivating aroma, but it's gone now. Gawiths 'Black Forest' has an even more enchanting room note, alas with far less clout.

Status
Not open for further replies.