Hi, Y'all, I'm new here and to pipes but I love Nightcap.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

iliumneves

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Only a few months in for me and I too have taken of Latakia blends. I have yet to try nightcap. On my list for sure.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The Middle Earth sampler pack has some pretty good blends. I shake my head when Hobbit's Weed gets brought up because it is a crappy aro (and this is coming from an aro fan). Ruins of Isengard and Shortcut to Mushrooms are really good blends that were my first introduction to latakia after I went overboard with Nightcap in my first week smoking. I still haven't been able to go full English quite yet a year later. Ruins is still one of my top favorites thus far.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thank you junkyarddawgg justbread your post and I am very new and you hit the nail on the head I think I want to try others than aros. Im hearing alot about frog morton. What do you all think?

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
The Frogs I've tried have a distinctive flavor... (Probably from the tiny bits of dried fog skins they use in the blends). I like them but, so far, don't love them. That said, I find that when I revisit blends at different times in different pipes I get a completely different experience. I don't give up on a blend quickly.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
I am reluctant to sound as if I'm jumping on the bandwagon but, I really like Shortcut to Mushrooms, Old Toby, and Longbottom Leaf the best so far.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Marine, there are some good Frogs out there, Cellar and Morton on the Town are ones I like but I don't smoke them are often as I use too.
I have become completely crazy over Dunhill's lately. MM 965, Nightcap, Standard Mixture Mellow,EMP are becoming some of my favorites. I am heavy into Latakia but acquiring a taste for good Virginia's also.....just tried Dunhill Flake for the first time tonight...excellent. Escudo Navy Deluxe is another is great choice if you like the sweetness of Virginia leaf.

I also have gotten new tins of Royal Yacht and De Luxe Navy Rolls that I am anxiously waiting to try as well.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
I'm new so disregard my opinion if neccessary, but SG's 1792 is pretty great and I think its a virginia blend.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Werebear:
It is odd that you took to Lat forward blends right out of the chute. Most of us futzed around with Over The Counter (OTC) blends and aromatics (AROs) when we started smoking way back when. At some point, internal guidance or a friendly piper with a full pouch sent us careening down a different path.
I used to look down my nose at the nancy boys who only smoked aromatics until I realized that some of those guys on this forum would take my back in a bar fight in a heartbeat.
End run? Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
I would encourage you to start laying in a supply of your favorite blends before those nasty-assed sin tax rate increases effect you. Buy your DH Nightcap in bulk and start laying aside a half or full pound every month in Mason jars.
Fnord

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Actually I did start with the OTC blends, but I only liked a couple, and I couldn't wait to get some "real" pipe tobacco. So when I finally could, I made a trip (2hrs) and walked into Elliston Place Pipe and Tobacco. Inside were more jars of tobacco than I had ever previously seen. So I walked around not really sure what to do or what I wanted, picking up jars and looking at the labels, until the man behind the counter says, "You can open them and smell if you want to."

I am now, almost absolutely positive that his laughter was only barely contained. So I smelled nearly every jar I bet, and the ones that I smelled that I liked I bought some of. There was the Nightcap, ofcourse, something called Voodoo Queen, and this strange stuff that had a plant called deerstongue in it. That one actually smelled like roasting marshmallows. Oh and something called MMXII(2012) and its flavored by some african fruit.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Yeah I went from cigarettes to smoking a pipe and I found out through a little research that Nightcap had a large nic content and that was the first quality tobacco I had purchased it is my go to tobacco I love it.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Nightcap was the first tobacco I ever smoke too. Its a little different now but its still good That was the beginning of my search for English blends. There's a lot to choose from and there's a good chance that once you start sampling other blends you might only smoke it once in a while. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.