PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The hands depend on the day😆
I work streets/stormwater maintenance/heavy equipment operator-so I tend to do most of my pipe smoking at work, not in luxurious relaxing environment. Preparing up 4-5 blends in individual small tins that hold 4-5 group 2ish sized bowls each is done prior to my 4 day work week and tossed in my lunchbox.
My work environment is rarely conducive to rubbing out a smoke’s worth each time I want one.
What about running over the flakes with a bulldozer?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I got one with decent sized holes, and removed the screen. Depending on moisture of flake it works pretty well. Moister flakes I don’t want too dry, I cut with a straight razor to 3/8-1/2” length ad toss in to limit gumming up the grinder. VA flakes I just break to fit.
Works pretty good so far.
Grinder gum is a problem once in a while. A little 90% isopropyl will take care of it though. It’s just part of grinder maintenance. Once in a while I like to toothpick the thread grooves too.

I agree that bigger holes are better for our purposes

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Absolutely not, no way, no how. There's no such thing as a flake that's hard to rub out. With plugs and twists, if it's hard to rub out then you need to cut it more finely. It's that simple.