PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

revshow

Lurker
Jun 18, 2010
My dad has been smoking pipes and cigars for 50+ years. He recently pulled out an old Calabash with meerschaum bowl/insert. The calabash finish is extremely dull and dry. When handled the oils from your hands leave fingerprints that are quickly absorbed into the wood. He tried polishing the finish with Pledge, but the calabash quickly absorbed that too. Before adding more, I jumped online to check out the proper way to restore/care for an aged Calabash...and here I am!
Thanks for any help and advice!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Revshow,
I think we have a couple of folks here that can advise you.

I have always used a soft clean cloth with just a touch of Lemon Pledge on mine.

Always remove the Meerschaum before cleaning the gourd.

But mine are only 20 or 25 years old.

It just occurred to me... you said wood.

Have you a photo you could share?

It might help with the advice.
Again Welcome to the fraternity, I think you'll like it here.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Most woods can tolerate a rejuvenating application of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I prefer a generous application of solid carnauba wax, which you can get at e-Bay. The downside is that it's difficult to apply without something like a Dremel tool and a cloth applicator wheel and a soft buffing wheel.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome revshow. (This may show up as a duplicate post as I'm having a problem posting URL's.)

Let me just quickly state that Extra Virgin Olive Oil is very good for most woods and it contains a lot of natural antioxidants that deter rancidity. But I prefer hard carnauba wax (sold on e-Bay in brick form). For that, you'll need a Dremel rotary tool with both cloth and soft wheels for application and buffing respectively. I think you should avoid the soft and/or liquid carnauba products. If your 'bash is made of gourd I would leave it alone (just smoke it!)

revshow

Lurker
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks all. I meant "gourd" not "wood" :)
We applied the EV Olive Oil (sparingly) and it brought the coloring right back.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.