PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Some may cal me cheap, but I have bought my oldest son three Nordings for around $79 each for birthday presents. He still smokes two but the third one was left on a table so the small horse he calls a dog used it as a chew toy.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Stanwells are good. Even their lower grade pipes are good smokers. Peterson pipes should be alright. For some reason, they are a love/hate thing, but I have one and it is a good smoker. They have some shapes and finishes that might fit, what you are looking for, and within your price range. Here's one: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=288501

zedriv

Lurker
Aug 20, 2018
Sweden
I really like the H.C.Andersen Brown VII. It`s a bit over my budget at around 185USD/160EUR.

Nice touch with dual lenghts (270mm and 145mm).

Might be worth saving up for. Does anyone have experience with the H.C Andersen series?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The op's pipe does appear to be primarily ornamental, despite an 'authentic' shape.

Mine says it's made in Czechoslovakia, and sits on a re-purposed spice rack on the wall with other 'oddities'.

Dr. Grabow pipes should not be overlooked, but the other recommendations have been quite reasonable.

Estate pipes can be very successful hunting grounds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have two things going at once -- your desire to develop your pipe smoking interest, but co-equally your interest in dramatic pipes. For the smoking interest, I'd get one or two pipes that are known good smokers, inexpensive examples of good brands like Missouri Meerschaum (I like the ones with acrylic stems), Rossi made by Savenelli, or one of the low-end Stanwells. But for the drama you seek, I'd do a lot of shopping and a bit of learning, to find something with that pizzazz that also has fair smoking characteristics. Search on Cavalier shape pipes, Lord of the Ring pipes, and others along those lines. Then look for pipes like that in a reputable smoking pipe brand, which exist. Personally, I don't like too much theatricality in my pipes, but I can see others like a little theater in their smoking. Good luck, and show us what you locate, if you find something interesting. The pipe in the original post looks like a wall-hanging decoration; if it smokes well, it would be surprising.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wish someone would have told me when I started out, buy less pipes and spend more money per pipe. You can get some really stellar pipes in the $200-$300 range through SmokingPipes estate section. I typically have 2 maybe 3 bowls a day and I've come to learn I could easily get by with only about 12 pipes in my cabinet. If I'd known that and taken that approach to the hobby when I started seriously at this 8yrs ago I'd have a much better collection and a much higher percentage of my collection would see regular rotation.

zedriv

Lurker
Aug 20, 2018
Sweden
They are neat looking pipes. My inner lazy bastard suggests that they also look like a pain in the rump to clean and maintain regularly.
I will help make Sable's prediction come true by telling you that I have been quite pleased with my Stanwell and Savinelli pipes.
Check out the sponsor links along the left edge of the forum home page.
I've had good experience with mikelaw's for an estate buy. Pipestud and Blue Room also have stellar reputations for estates. New, P&C has 15% off site wide right now, for a few more hours.
Good luck and show us your new pipe when you decide. Also, welcome to the forum!
I own two of them and they are excellent pipes!
I have one pipe at the moment which is a gift from my father.

Its a Swedish brand Dollarpipa Kapten Böjd Brun (Dollarpipe Captain Bent brown)

dollarpipa-kapten-brun-350x350.jpg

And I purchased the Stanwell H.C.Andersen Brown VII

1959_NInhdi.jpg

jamiept

Lurker
Aug 5, 2018
If you want a pipe with a cap try this offering from Mr. Borgs....
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Brog-Full-Smoking-Tobacco/dp/B006KYWBBG/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536090605&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+brog+pipe
For $20 you can't go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.