PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BedsClanger

Lurker
Oct 31, 2019
I have a few pipes. Many of them have one or more characteristics that I like. But, as yet, I've been unable to find the holy grail - one that combines the best bits of all. So I was wondering whether you guys could point me in the right direction, please?

What I'm looking for:

Bent
Medium-sized
Meerschaum lined
'Standup' e.g. a flat bottom.
9mm filter

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Genod makes one, but it does not take a filter

002-628-1266.5168.jpg

Reactions: craig61a

BedsClanger

Lurker
Oct 31, 2019
I saw the Genod one - would've been perfect but for the lack of a filter.

Seen another - a Vauen 7979 - but can't find one for sale anywhere!!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Vauen makes several Meerschaum-lined but I didn't see any sitters on their site. The Meerschaum is pressed, not block, by the way—dunno if that makes any difference.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If you can overlook the "sitter" Rattrays makes one that takes a 9mm filter.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I found this 9mm which appears to have everything but the brand is not familiar:

From what I've read, RMP meers are either pressed or synthetic block. I don't see "mined" in Turkey being mentioned anywhere on the site. I don't know what difference that makes in terms of the clay properties but that would explain low prices.

There's also this Vauen, but made of oak (liner will absorb anyways) :

Jun 27, 2016
Something out of the Brebbia Sun Meer-lined lineup should have everything but the 'sitter' part.
They say that they're made with block meer inserts, & mine passes the wet finger test.

Though not impossible, it is very hard to make a bent pipe which is also a sitter. In most cases, it will be unstable equilibrium.

Oom Paul is probably the easiest bent shape to be made a sitter.

The picture below is of a bent pipe, which is supposed to be a sitter. However it is very difficult to make it sit, for the reasons mentioned above

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Bents can be made sitters by slicing off the bottom edge where the stem meets the bowl, creating thus an extra (and flat) side. Some manufacturers already do this, like with this Brigham:

If the center of mass of the pipe is above the flat edge, the pipe will sit. It is hard to make the center of mass in line with the flat edge because of the long shank. Moving the flat edge towards the stem, in conjunction with a heavy bowl will make a bent pipe sit.

Even then the equilibrium is not very stable and it will fall down fairly easily.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Even then the equilibrium is not very stable and it will fall down fairly easily.
Not necessarily: it will sit fine, alright, but the 'problem' is that the tip of the mouthpiece will sit too close (2-5 mm) to the resting surface. If you're a germophobe like yours truly, that might be an issue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am trying to say it is hard and therefore less common.
Not really. Enter sitter on SPC's search bar, you might be surprised. I've only made around 40 pipes and they were all sitters.

I actually had an order for three at once, all requested sitters and you could spin them without them falling over even at their earliest stages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.