PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I have a Pete Christmas 2010 and I like it quite a bit. That said, I wouldn't go for any of them as none are my style. That's the thing about pipes and cars. I might like something completely different from you and we are both right because it's what we like. Make a list of pros and cons and go for the winner.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have five Petes and two Savinellis and they all smoke wonderfully. All the nickel banding is done well and hasn't had any problems. The draw on every one of them is good, some a bit better than others. They're all great smokers. I don't put much stock in the whole QC problem with Peterson as I have yet to experience it.
Rant aside, I'd go with the 150 Pete. It's a nice classy straight bulldog that should smoke well.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Out of those four the Porto Cervo Rusticated says buy me .But for the same money this one because of the stem work http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=110385

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I like the 80s. You should too. And if you get it and you don't like it that much, I'll trade you something for it :nana:
Seriously, Gunnar, the Christmas pipes aren't anything but glorified Arans with a band that says Christmas and a cool box. I like them but personally I wouldn't pay that much for them.
Since I've now been bit by the freehand bug, here's something I wouldn't mind having and would score a AAA+++ on the "cool" factor scale
http://pipesandcigars.com/esiisfrphose.html#.UJyUnIc8CSo
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2235_920912961

Get something to smoke out of it and make the free shipping threshold since you're in the "lower 48".
Just a thought.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
What difference does it make what "we" like, buy the one YOU like best. I'm not trying to be rough, but which of these pipes would add something new to your collection.
Just my 2 cents.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
philobeddoe is right.
I'm pretty sure Peterson is the older maker of the two, but they're both well established, quality briar pipe manufacturers, with a big variety to choose from.
dochudson is making a good point too, mrgunnar177, if you're willing to spend that much, you have quite a number of other makers you could be looking at, too.
In fact I think that Briar Bird here on the forums makes custom pipes at around that price, and most all of us around here know what quality craftsmanship he does.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you go with the Peterson, make sure you ask if the draft hole is flush with the bottom and if there is any kind of whistle in stem when puffed. You want to make sure the stem is clear of any obstructions. I do not own a Savinelli yet, but am planning on getting a couple of their Pocket pipes SPC has on their site.
Peterson's are always a good buy, you just have to make sure the engineering is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.