PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Just received my third Castello and I'm relatively new to the brand after 20 years of mostly English briars.
This compact billiard (KK) just seemed perfect for me. I prefer smaller pipes for Va's and VaPers.

Since Castello stopped stamping shape numbers anyone know if this would have been a 35 or a 15 or a 31? Or maybe something else? Thanks for any expertise.

IMG_4424.jpgIMG_4422.jpgIMG_4425.jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Search for the win.

I see two possibles there, did you buy this new or estate, seems like the actual shape should be on the box mb or where you bought it from would have that?

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
First, I am not an expert on anything pipe related, so please don't even suggest it.

If I had to guess, I think it may have started out to be a 33, listed as a short Canadian, and please no jokes ......For some reason, who knows why ... a longer taper stem was used. With Castello nothing is written in stone, or briar, and sometimes something unusual is created.

The first time I was at the workshop I asked Franco if they'd ever though about blending a shape 44 and a shape 55. Oval bowl and bent pot. He just smiled and walked away. I thought, I had possibly insulted him. He came back a few minutes later and put what I asked about in my hand. What shape number would that be? A 44 bent or a 55 oval? At Castello you just never know when they'll put a rabbit, out of their hat.

Mike

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Mike I think you may be right! Searching images the bowl looks like either a 33 or perhaps a 32 with a longer stem.

I found this bit of wisdom at SP "While Castello does have a shape chart, one of the neat things about this great Italian marque is that said chart only covers the basic premise of the shapes in question. Each briar is hand-made, and most possess some degree of variation from the "master" shape; thus each has its own individuality."

Here's one more photo of the underside.
IMG_4423.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
First, I am not an expert on anything pipe related, so please don't even suggest it.

If I had to guess, I think it may have started out to be a 33, listed as a short Canadian, and please no jokes ......For some reason, who knows why ... a longer taper stem was used. With Castello nothing is written in stone, or briar, and sometimes something unusual is created.

The first time I was at the workshop I asked Franco if they'd ever though about blending a shape 44 and a shape 55. Oval bowl and bent pot. He just smiled and walked away. I thought, I had possibly insulted him. He came back a few minutes later and put what I asked about in my hand. What shape number would that be? A 44 bent or a 55 oval? At Castello you just never know when they'll put a rabbit, out of their hat.

Mike
You are too modest Mike - but looking at the shape, I thought "hybrid 55"!

@Terry Lennox - I Just saw the nomenclature picture, those KK buttons are right up my alley!

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Just received my third Castello and I'm relatively new to the brand after 20 years of mostly English briars.
This compact billiard (KK) just seemed perfect for me. I prefer smaller pipes for Va's and VaPers.

Since Castello stopped stamping shape numbers anyone know if this would have been a 35 or a 15 or a 31? Or maybe something else? Thanks for any expertise.

View attachment 229830View attachment 229831View attachment 229832
O gosh that pipe is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Terry Lennox

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Smoking Pipes. It popped up last week and I grabbed it right away. I was worried it might be too small but when it arrived it turned out to be perfect. I really am done with big pipes.
Well, that's a rare US find. And I'm solidly in your preference camp.

My first Ashton, was an XX and when I unpacked it, it was pretty small and I was slightly disappointed. To that point (11 years ago...) I had only smoked big Boswell pipes. About four years later, I found that I really enjoyed the smaller pipes (and learned to evaluate them based on their weight in grams). So, I still have that XX Taylor Ashton. Now I realize it was a gift from my wife on my 50th birthday, and in a few weeks, it will be 12 years old!