PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
Taking a family trip to real northern California (the bay area is fake northern California ;) ) in a few weeks, and I am struggling to choose a blend or two to take with me. If you been, you know the smell of the redwood forests, and I am trying to pick something that will pair well with the earthy/woody/mossy/dank aroma and rainy/chilly weather (it will be in March). I suppose an oriental forward english makes sense, something like London Mixture or Presbyterian Mixture, but I will be with my family and also want something that isn't too stinky for them and smells good to a 3rd party, and I'm worried about the Latakia. On that end, I'm am thinking of maybe something from the Gawiths that has a decent room note, like 1792, Bob's CF, Firedance, etc. I found a dusty tin of SG Celtic Talisman at Iwan Ries a few weeks back that is supposed to smell good to others, but I believe it's a cherry blend, not sure that works for the area.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but would be interested to know of anyone has thoughts on a good smelling, dank, earthy mixture, to put it in a nutshell. My cellar is pretty diverse if the blend was made in the last 10 years, with the exception of C&D blends, I don't own much of them.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
@pinem Do you hike?
I'm a hiker, and I've enjoyed many trails up and down the northern coast of California. And quite possibly my favorite trail in the world is up where you will be. In Prarie Creek state park, there's the James Irvine trail. It's winds through some of the most beautiful redwoods you can find, and leads to a place called fern canyon.
It's a very special place.

20230701_112245.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Overthinking? It is for me, but diff folks, diff strokes.

I'd smoke exactly what I like regardless of venue.

The very real but boring N. CA demands driving N of Eureka on 101 all the way to Oregon.
I haven't driven that stretch of the 101 in decades. I do enjoy the trip through the Siskiyous after climbing out of the Central Valley.

Fake VS real N. California is an interesting concept...

Especially coming from a guy living in Nebraska, a state that has the distinction of recording the earliest head on collision in the US, in 1908. There were only a few automobiles in the state, but two of them managed to collide.

Not much has changed.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Depending on how and where you intend to enjoy any Redwoods, check the particular park's smoking rules - may not be allowed. If it is more in general for a road trip -- no suggestions other than something you enjoy for tobacco and get out of the car from time to time. We were in the Monterey area and in the Mendocino area a few years ago (both seemed north and real, lol) - loved the Pacific Coast Highway (we didn't venture north of Mendocino), loved the ocean, loved it all (except San Francisco, but the day out there was okay and loved the ferry over from Sausalito).

DSC_0245.jpeg

DSC_0270.jpegDSC_0329.jpeg
DSC_0420.jpeg

DSC_0278.jpeg
DSC_0182.jpeg
DSCF3129.jpeg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
This discussion made me think of The Untouchables an aromatic collaboration from HU, Michael Apitz and DTM.
It has a cedar and rose geranium aroma that I enjoy.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Bay area is Central California masquerading as Northern...there, I said it! :ROFLMAO:

As for your question, it all depends on how well you get along with your family, and how olfactorily sensitive they are. I personally have never received a single complaint out and about in the open air--in the workspace with the windows closed is a different story! Thusly, I enjoy a variety of blend types when I'm out strolling through the woods with the family (wife and horse), anything from Lane BCA to Balkan Sasieni to Stokkebye Navy Flake.

If I had to concern myself with the potential for room note complaints but still desired a non-aromatic, I'd probably go with something borderline, like Mac Baren Burley London Blend (tough to acquire though) or Ashton Gold Rush.

If I wanted to piss my family off with a real stinky room note, I'd have a plethora of choices there, but I would only opt for that strategy if it were my extended family. Those people deserve nothing but the most rancid, savage nostril-torture known to man. YMMV.