PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Oh sure I'd be perfectly happy to pay the return shipping! Now that I've closed the issue though, I'm working on getting in the mindset of viewing this pipe as mine. Later this evening I'll sit down and have a therapeutic few hours of cleaning this thing up. It ought to look very nice once clean.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I buy the pipe for 1k because who doesn't want to smoke the most spectacular looking Dunhill in the world
ME! I'd rather have a crappy Peterson, but that's just me. Any time I get any estate pipe, I always change the stem out. That's just me and I like new stems. Now I'll keep the old one, if I ever decide to resell it.
What year is that Dunhill? I kinda like the shape, I'll buy it off ya and have a new stem done.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I think you did the right thing by keeping it.

The russet finish wasn't made for very long, they are not rare, but they are not too common either.

The pipe is probably a 1991, as the russet didn't come along until 1988.

I think there's a lesson to be learned here, and I'll bet that will clean up great and be a good smoker.......... :puffy:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ah, yes! It's a 1991. It's the newest Dunhill I've ever owned, I'm so used to expecting them to be older that I overlooked it's a 31 rather than 21 date code. Thank you for pointing that out, beefeater!
Pictures to follow here very shortly

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'm really impressed with this Russet finish. All the Birdseye is a deep orange, with the brown over top and the black on the rest of the grain. It's a shame they discontinued these!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
That is a gorgeous pipe. I would be delighted to have it. You should enjoy that pipe and stop worrying about a very very subtle imperfection!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Wow hello again!
I smoked that pipe for a few weeks, but the mismatched stem continued to bother me aesthetically. I ended up putting it up on eBay with special mention of the stem issue and sold it. I kind of miss it!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've been buying and selling on ebay for 20 years. As a seller, I always list as "no returns" but on a mistake like that, I would have accepted a return.
As a buyer, I would have no problem filing an ebay claim if the seller refused a return.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
I spotted a Dunhill on a lot of 4 auction a couple weeks ago on ebay. It wasn't listed in the title, and was in the description, along with three other crappy pipes. I could only see one angle, and had to ask if it had a dot on the stem. He said no. I passed, but watched the auction out of interest. It went from 30 to 100 dollars the last few minutes. I wondered if the person that won asked the same question.
I recently bought a handful of pipes on there for best offer. Most bowls were cracked all the way through, and I was able to return. However, they went back on ebay right away and the seller stated in tiny letters that there were small surface cracks, and resold them for more than what I paid. My guess is someone is not going to be very happy, or they may just clean them up and pass them off to someone else. Some people just don't know what they are doing, and think people are out to get the return and keep the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.