Help! Does This Look Like What I Think it Is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
The bottom of the bowl looks pretty bare cake-wise. Looks like it needs some protection.
its funny you say that there's some truth to this statement, its usually at the end of my bowl do i start to feel the heat at its hottest. i have no experience with pipe clay i need to read up on it more before i attempt it.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
i just read about the pipe cement compared to the pipe mud (wood ash to pipe ash) i think im going to try and lite my fireplace to get some wood ash going and use that. but my question is should i just line the entire inside of the bowl or only coat the bare spots?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
If you like the pipe, ream it to bare wood, see if you have any weak spots, if you do go to hardware store and get a cartridge of Fireplace mortar repair, about 5 to 10$, squeeze a little on pipe tool spoon and apply, wet spoon first, apply in a thin layer , let it harden, it cures with heat, I don"t know how big the spot is or you have any damage, but if you do a couple if thin layers is better than a big glob, you can wet finger and smooth out. The old cajun

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would not go the pipe mud route just yet. Ream the bowl down and then smoke some partial bowls to get a cake on the bottom. If you smoke cigars, one thing you can do is take the ash and put it in the bowl, then rub the walls with a pipe cleaner. This helps build a cake faster in my experience. The main thing is just take your time and build up a good cake. I think the effort will definitely be worth it.
If, after you ream the bowl and see areas that are weak, then use the pipe mud. By week I mean you will see cracking or there will be a noticeable dark spot or indentation in the wood. Another thing with a burn out is you will generally taste something as you smoke that is certainly not the pipe tobacco.
I have a Peterson Claddagh that I snagged unsmoked off eBay (for half the retail, score!). It smokes a bit hot due to the clear lacquer finish, so I have been smoking it slowly to build up a good cake. This method is working and it does not heat up as much.
Also, try to use a good VA for building a cake or an English blend. Aromatics will also build up a cake but they don't seem to be as strong in my experience. You might end up with some flaking. After every bowl you smoke, swab a pipe cleaner around the walls before you dump out the ash and this will help build an even cake.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Smokeing right now an old Willmer that had cake so bad it took all afternoon to ream, retorted it, did the alcohol/salt, then retorted it again, found fissures running up and down pipe had been smoked hot, cleaned bowl out with a small wore brush, applied the mirror repair to bowl, waited 1 hr , put wife's hair dryer to it and as I type this out I am smokeing a bowl of Carter Hall, it ain"t rocket science. The old cajun

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I actually think your OK there mate. I believe it is a finish flaw only, but it is hard to tell without holding it. As far as cake goes, some ppl like it/want it/strive for it. I ream all my estate pipes to the bare wood and I do not allow any significant amount of cake to form, but that is just my personal prefference. Don't let it, or ANY of your pipes run hot and you'll be ok. enjoy

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
ya ill get a reaming going and ill post pics to see what im dealing with but after reading all your posts i come to believe this is just a finish issue and it is burning hot due to a combination of aros and the varnish coating. i think ill do a good cleaning and start smoking some english or VA blends until i get some good cake build like mrenglish suggested ill just use my cheap yet surprisingly tough medico varsity for the aros for now.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hmm, looks like they do. I've only ever seen grape jelly. Chunks of grape in my jam just sounds wierd to me.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
haha grape jelly huh sounds interesting but makes sense in a way. ill try it i rather build cake properly then hve to go through adding mud or cement to my pipe but if it turns out i need to do that then i will.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
so heres the game plan i will
1)ream out the bowl as best as i can to the wood.

2)if alls well, apply grape jelly allow to dry

3)smoke half a bowl evenly and really slowly while avoiding getting the bowl too hot.

3)when finished rub a pipe cleaner along the sides of the bowl and let it sit for 24hrs

4)smoke a full bowl slowly and evenly

5)spread ash again and let cool for 24hrs

repeat half bowl them full bowl until i get desired cake build.
do i got it right?

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
148928_10151394468392889_1697258030_n.jpg

543843_10151394469812889_1414192172_n.jpg

47692_10151394469747889_1166173086_n.jpg

i dont have a reamer for i pipe but i made due with a round diamond bit.
and now its peanut butter jelly time but without the peanut butter
270351_10151394470047889_2146087854_n.jpg

185940_10151394469907889_1117519019_n.jpg

65161_10151394469857889_712433748_n.jpg

looks alot cleaner in person and smells less like an ashtray and more like a snack mmmmm mmmm

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Haha if they make a peanut butter tobacco ill try it lol I love peanut butter and jelly this would be a whole new level. Well it's actually drying up really nice and the surface is just the right amount of sticky I suppose cause it doesn't come off on my finger. Smells amazing to haha.

Aug 14, 2012
Burnout happens on the inside of the bowl. It looks like the surface of a partially burned log in the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.