PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Cheers Baron ... that was far easier to digest than the idea of pulling tails & bonking women, I must say ... I'm still having visions and they're not pretty lmao.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Philip those pics have class and style and don't look at all like a pasty, drug addicted social misfit, they're just gorgeous.
Since it is Uncle Arthur's alternative world, I looked into the Steampunk Site. The term "Punk" is unfortunate as it seems to be a classy site. It's more of a literary genre revolving around a fantasy world in the steam powered era, complete with lots of tecnologically fancy gadgets and Victorian style clothing. (See the pics I posted above.)
steampunk-slimline-mobile-phone-054_pqgot_3858_gNt4G_54.jpg

steampunk%20art.jpg

They even have a NaNoWriMo Forum in case people like Pipe Novelist are intersted. I'm sure it's fertile ground for story writers and anyone wishing to indulge in some fantasies of a simpler time.
This is in no way offered as an excuse for one to neglect any professional obligations. But I was curious to see where Unclue Arthur is hanging out. I can see its appeal, but personally I don't have the time to participate fully in this forum. I am not about to join another.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I've always liked the look of antique clocks and gadgets but I don't completely enjoy the pseudo-antique steampunk culture.
Seems like UA is a spry old goat and not as sickly as we thought!

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Well I'll chime in I suppose. I would posit that perhaps UA does feel well enough to post occasionally but not to make it out to the post office (he's out a ways as I understand) and just doesn't want to be posting here on account of feeling like a heel for not sending the pipes out. It would certainly make me feel bad sitting and typing to gents that I know are waiting for their pipes.

I don't know what the facts are but that's just one of the many possibilities.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Most everyone here likes Uncle Arthur and we all want to believe he's going to do the right thing. I dont blame folks who are out hundreds of dollars for wanting their money back. If they seek legal action, I think they're well within their rights to. I hope it doesn't come to that but no response at all is probably the worst way to handle this, especially if he's well enough to stay up to date on another site.

Arthur if you're out there we need a Thank You, a Fuck You, or a real good excuse to keep these guys from banging down your door.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Look, I like the guy. He's always been helpful to me and responded courteously and with the necessary sense of humor. I personally am glad he's at least doing OK and that nothing major happened or that his health didn't decline.
The money I'm out, it's just like SmokinDragon said. If one day I get a pipe in the mailbox it'll be a pleasant surprise. Especially if it's one I looked at and we agreed upon. If I don't get one, well, all I can say is that if he does show up again, I would agree with "buyer beware".
Losing money is tough. But realizing that a person you got to know is in bad health is a lot tougher. I'll take the first over the second any time.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Losing money is tough.

@Mick

Don't count your money as lost. Uncle Arthur seems to be on his on schedule. I expect he will return when he is ready. He has before.
Unfortunately being a nice guy is not the same as being a good businessman.
Perhaps part of the problem is that he gets much more attention when he isn't here. :rofl:

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"@Mick

Don't count your money as lost. Uncle Arthur seems to be on his on schedule. I expect he will return when he is ready. He has before.

Unfortunately being a nice guy is not the same as being a good businessman.
Perhaps part of the problem is that he gets much more attention when he isn't here. "
I could not explain better what i think Philip.But I think also that this time probably will not return as the ground is burning around him.But the man isn't an ordinary man so it could be happen.In this case i can't imagine what he could say to make excuses itself.

well speeches badly of me but speeches of me.........and that's happening

Maurizio

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
This really sucks guys - a member, not once, but twice, goes AWOL (to another forum all fine, dandy & chirpy) with peoples' hard earned $'s and pipes. Out come the oohers and aaarhers, yet a highly regarded member passes a valid opinion, albeit English is not their first language, a few "sensitives" get up in arms and now the forum is losing one of it's best damn pipemakers because it was suggested he's arrogant and denigrating someone's reputation, which they already screwed well & truly for themselves as well they should've .... FFS sake, if you could make a pipe half as good as M's, you could afford to express such opinions instead of judging others WHO DO!!!!
Now all we need is for someone to upset BriarBird or a couple of the other great makers here and this place will be full of nothing but ....... no, I better not go there, suffice it to say I hope it was worth it for you!!!! And, you know what, M was bloody well right in what he said - that's my opinion, now bitch and moan about that as much as you damn well like!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
God Bless ya Aussie,say what needs to be said!Old saying.."Can't make chickin salad out of chickin shit" :D

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Welll...I'll throw in my 2 cents too. I am a little concerned that someone is out some money and there is no excuse for taking someone's hard earned $ and disappearing. If he needed a break a few words would suffice and all would be well. I have had some dealings with Uncle A and have been very happy with the results - he always sent me something extra (ie pipe or pipe tamper). Why he is suddenly absent is not disturbing as we all have lives (I hope) - what is is disturbing his lack of courtesy in this matter re a fellow member sending $ and not getting the merchandize or at least a Hellooooo!
Now to be fair - I don't know the full story - just what is posted here. Hopefully it will all work out - and if it doesn't...we'll just have to adopt a new Uncle ;-)
I refuse to be called "Unc Chuck" by the way.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've sent him an email and have not heard from him. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he follows through with my order. He could be spun out on whatever meds he's on or a million other issues that old dudes deal with. He's always done right by people in the past, including me.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
For pity's sakes you guys, STOP with the "old crap" will you! I read somewhere he's in his early/mid 40's for crying out loud (don't say it, bite your tongue right now). What am I, a geriatric waiting for the Grim Friggen' Reaper????

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
UA can not possibly be in his mid 40s! I am in my mid 40s and I don't look remotely as old as UA...at least I think I don't....hopefully...
No one shall call me Uncle Juni, except for my niece.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Bloody Hell Juni, did I not say, "Don't say it ... bite your tongue!!" lmao, shakes head and giggles.
Well he is I tells ya, I'll bet you a bleedin' Dunhill!!!
Just because life's been ever so kind to you and I, there's no need to brag (wink).

Status
Not open for further replies.