PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luapleahcim

Lurker
Aug 10, 2011
This is my very first post about pipes anywhere, so here goes........ (I'll probably post it on some other forums too though)
First of all, a bit of background; I have been smoking Cuban cigars for a while and have become pretty familiar with the whole cigar world (some would argue a little too familiar - I have over 1000 cubans in my humidors at the moment....)
I have another abiding passion for whisk(e)y; primarily single malts from Islay (Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig and so on) as well as top shelf bourbons and Japanese whiskies.
I should point out that I'm not a collector as such, definitely an enjoyer.
So to pipes.
What happened was this:
I have been given (handed down actually) two brand new and extremely beautiful briars. Now, I knew absolutely nothing about pipes (still don't actually) but it started me on a voracious quest for knowledge and info. Much the same as when I began my journeys into the worlds of Havanas and whisky. I become mildly obsessed with every new passion that ignites in me!
I'd better mention what these pipes are. I have (obviously) investigated the internet for info about them.
The first is a Kent Rasmussen almost identical to this one

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rasmussen/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=81011
it is one of his highest grades according to his rating system.
the other is an "eagle" grade Teddy Knudsen Elephant's foot; here's one that is similar (though not identical)
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/teddy-knudsen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=14037
Before anyone says anything, I fully intend to smoke these. I firmly believe in using and enjoying things in the way that they are intended - hell, I've smoked cigars costing more than £100 and not regretted it for a moment!
So I'm not going to sell, even though they're both pretty expensive and, presumably, collectable.
These pipes are both completely as they were when they were first made (not certain when that was by the way). In fact, I'd be surprised if they have even left their protective pouches.
My problem is this: until last week I'd never smoked a pipe..... not ever, not even once.
Now being a sensible sort of chap (kind of), I figured it may be worth me actually learning HOW to smoke a pipe before I risked causing damage.
so I went down to St. James' in London where I'd heard about a little stall on a market that sold touristy type bric-a-brac....
BUT this stall was run by a father and son both of whom were makers for the Old Charatan company back in the days when many considered them to be the finest pipes in the world.
In fact, I think Alfred Dunhill came along, bought the name and used the Charatan pipe-makers to make pipes for him; apparently he wasn't happy with the french pipes he was getting at the time.
..... I'm not sure the history of all this, but others can chime in.
Anyway, these two gents (Dennis and John Marshall) make pipes in their little workshop in Barnet. In fact it's really John, the son, that does it all now.
So I decided that the pipes they were selling were likely to be extremely good quality, and I bought a few. (they sell them for £15 each, which I think is a bit of a bargain)
Their pipes are stamped Millville by the way.
So I bought 7 for £80 so I could "rotate" smoking (I had already read that it was a bad idea to continually puff away on one pipe. Also, the idea is to practice this whole "breaking in" thing before I attempt it on the expensive ones and also learn how to smoke a pipe and all that entails.
So far I've had 3 bowls.
I think I'm doing OK, and I am adoring the flavours and experience I'm getting even before I really know what I'm doing.
The problem is that I don't yet have a "yardstick" to go by - someone might say "don't smoke too hot", and I think "how hot is "TOO hot"?
they may say "don't smoke too fast", and I say "but how fast is too fast?...
They advise to fill the bowl so it's not too loose, but not too tight, but I can only guess while I'm gaining experience.
I know I'll learn these things as I go on, and I will enjoy the journey but I do have a worry and a question for everyone here;
It's about "breaking in" a new pipe. I've read/watched/scoured every scrap of info I can find before I attempt it on the expensive pipes.
I should point out that neither has any carbon coating, it's just bare wood inside.
I'm frankly worried that I will do some damage...... help!
I know to smoke slowly.... I know to avoid the bowl becoming too hot (if I can hold it to my cheek for 5 secs, am I ok?)
is it ok for the bowl to feel really quite warm, but not so it's uncomfortable?
these are things I want to get right. I plan to get more used to my Millvilles before I go anywhere near the Rasmussen and Knudsen, but I don't actually know if I'm getting this "building a cake" thing right....
it seems ok based on my 3 bowls so far, but I don't know.
Sorry about this ramble incidently....
Tobaccos were another thing.
I sort of guessed in the tobacconist. At this point I hadn't done any investigating.
My instinct told me to avoid aromatics, I figured they wouldn't be to my liking, so I bought dunhill 965, early morning flake, nightcap, Red rapparee and black mallory - can't recall the brand - Robert lewis 123 mixture, Dunhill flake.
I've had some of the nightcap, 123 mix and 965 so far. I enjoyed them all, but will be looking towards trying some "stronger" blends too. I now know that I love latakia (I didn't even know what this was three weeks ago) and perique. I liked the cigar-like profile of the 123 mix too.
This whole pipe world is opening up for me..... I know it will become a new passion for me along with the cuban cigars. Based on what I've tried so far, I want more!
Please can someone tell me how I should approach smoking these two special pipes for the first time?
I'll stop now before I come across as a complete rambling idiot.....
peace, best wishes and plumes of thick fragrant smoke from the big smoke in the UK.
Paul

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Unfortunately, I can't help with the high-grade pipes as my most expensive was only $100. Anyway, welcome to the forums! If you could clarify, what do you mean by "stronger blends"? Stronger in Nicotine content or flavor? I only ask because the blends you listed are pretty full flavored in my eyes (err.. mouth). Also, it'd be great to get pics of your Millville pipes as I have no idea what this brand is like.
Thanks and welcome to the big wide world of pipes. Ask your questions, we'll help you out, but just know everything about this hobby is VERY subjective, so while I think Dunhill 965 is full-flavored, you may not.
-Jason

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Welcome to the site Paul. That was a lot of topics that you brought up.You will find much of the information you seek here in the topic categories on the left under featured articles.. Also doing a search for questions will give you more sources. Others will be here shortly to supply answers I am sure. I do think that using the less expensive pipes first is the right approach.
Relax and enjoy. Finding what is right for you is part of what makes this "hobby" great! :lol:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Cheers Paul,
I think you're off to a great start; good tobacco and good pipes. Though others may disagree, I'm more jealous of your Millvilles than I am of your Danish pipes (as Millevilles are pretty rare here in the States). I do have one Millville and it's an outstanding pipe.
To try to answer some of your questions:

- an average sized bowl should last between 45 minutes to an hour.

- the bowl should be warm, but not hot. If it's too hot to touch, you're puffing too hard. Stop, let it cool and resume.

- everyone has an opinion on breaking in a pipe. Personally I don't give it too much thought. I've found that as long as I smoke the entire bowl, breaking in kind of takes care of itself.

- I also have no preference for/against pre-carbonized bowls.

- In my experience, it's not easy to damage a good pipe by smoking it "wrong".
One thing to keep in mind is that the UK has some of the finest carvers in the world today. In addition to the Marshalls, you should check out:

Barry Jones (Upshall)

Les Wood (Ferndown)

Jim Craig (Ashton)

Chris Askwith

Paul Hubbart (Larrysson)

Ian Walker (Northern Briars)
Though some will claim that the best carvers are in Denmark and Italy, I think some of the best work today comes from Britain and North America.
I could go on all day, but I think you've got a pretty good handle on it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Paul: What an introduction....an outstanding post....seems like you are very intelligent already with your vast research and quality briars to smoke...you just need time now...enjoy and smoke SLOW :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Paul.
The best all-encompassing answer is in a like vein to Hobie1dog's...

Practice Practice Practice.
Your Topic reminded me of an old joke...
A Londoner comes home to find his wife in bed with three men.

He says: "Hello-ello-ello!"

And the wife says: "Well, aren't you going to speak to me?"

:D

Sorry old joke.
We're very glad to have you aboard.

I look forward to reading about your progress in the our beloved art form.

luapleahcim

Lurker
Aug 10, 2011
Wow, thanks for all these quick replies!
Indeed the Millvilles are great pipes; in fact I plan to ask John to make me some more (bespoke kind of thing).
I figured that to get seven for the price of a half decent Stanwell or Peterson was pretty good.
Really nice people by the way; typical of the pipe community as far as my (limited) experience goes.
John told me that they sometimes supply shops with their pipes, who then quadruple the price (sometimes more).
Anyway, I reckon each one of the ones I got would be at least as good as a £50+ pipe bought online let alone a B&M shop.
As far as my point about "strength"... I'm referring to flavour really, although I can take very high nicotine levels (I know this from my cubans)
I really like all degrees of "power" in fact; depends on mood. I found the Nightcap to be very pleasant and smooth, the 965 a good if a little characterless (hey, what do I know!). The Robert Lewis 123 (had to get some of that 'cos JJ fox is one of my regular haunts) was a very nice, mild "cigarish" smoke.
I've ordered some Squadron Leader and Full Virginia online, and I'll be buying some Dunhill Standard and probably something like presbyterian when I'm next in town.
On the subject of the two Danish Pipes I mentioned.... I think I'll be ok once I pluck up the courage to light them up. However, based on my couple of smokes so far, I'm still not sure whether I'm letting the bowl get too hot; I can certainly hold the bowl comfortably, but it is really quite warm. I'm not sure how to judge at this point. The best I can describe how warm is to compare to one of those handwarmer things you can get for winter.... it feels about like that, perhaps a touch warmer. Definitely not "OW!" hot though.
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the amount of tobacco right, and trying to smoke all of it. I have no problem with the idea of constantly relighting though if that's what it takes to get to the bottom. I would assume that once a pipe has been smoked a lot, it becomes cooler and easier to smoke a whole bowl.
I've been looking into all these makers by the way, and have already contacted some of them. My plan is to build up a nice set of custom orders (I'm into having things made to my exact specs, although I can't afford Saville Row!)
Also, the well regarded American makers will be on my list as I go.
For me, there's a dimension here that isn't there with cigars, and that is the beautiful object itself; I love them purely as desirable things to own quite apart from the smoking...
... I would have thought everyone here feels the same way.
I know what I'm like; I'll end up with a ridiculous collection just as I have with the Cubans and whisky!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'll address your "I'm having a bit of trouble getting the amount of tobacco right, and trying to smoke all of it." comment.
Packing is perhaps one of the most difficult and oft discussed topics on here. From the "Codger Stuff-n-Puff" to the "Frank Method" all techniques have their merits and to some degrees "place" in your smoking bag of tricks.
The tobacco prep and ritual is very personal thing and you will develop your own. So don't sweat that.

Your results will vary (smoking to the bottom vs. relights) dependent on any number of factors.
As a "beginner" don't sweat the small stuff, and do some research. (plenty of very good information on the Home Page, down-low left column)

The time it takes to smoke your bowl will be highly variable, from that quick smoke (just cuz you want a puff or two) to the perfect (char, light, puff and tamp) methodology in the "slow smoke" competition.
Just remember to "go slow", the pipe is very different from cigars.

Enjoyment is the point.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Our Bob Tate has some excellent articles listed on the left side of the page around half way down that should be quite helpful to you. One common rule on bowls getting warm is that if it is too warm to hold for six seconds, then it is too warm. Set the pipe down and let it cool a bit. Great having you here. Happy smoking.

luapleahcim

Lurker
Aug 10, 2011
Well, I posted my "hello" on a number of forums and I have to say that it's true that pipe people are the most friendly and welcoming bunch!
I'd like to add to my original post regarding the pipes I acquired....
I got the two Danish pipes yes; but these were not the pick of the collection I can tell you (closer friends and family came before me)
One of the reasons that selling isn't an option for me is in homage to the fact that the owner of the collection used to smoke some amazingly rare and pricey pipes regularly.
eg he had a lot of Dunhills, and he had some that were a complete set based around Dickens' christmas carol I think (each pipe had its own "book" to keep it in)
these were his regular smoke I believe.
anyway, I've since found out that these are quite valuable and probably not smoked by many people if they 'collect' pipes.
I'm still enjoying my quest for tobaccos... I ordered some more that I reckon I'll like (some Penzance, mcclelland blackwoods and solani burley), but I'm still in the early stages of trying stuff.
As far as my learning the how-to's and wherefores of pipe smoking, that's a journey that will be an enjoyable one (just like it has been with cigars)... I'm just needing to make sure I don't do anything damaging!
My pipes are all pretty small, which may mean they feel a bit hotter in the hand (seems like holding a mug of coffee to me, which I assume is ok since I can actually hold it comfortably).
P

luapleahcim

Lurker
Aug 10, 2011
Met up with a lovely fellow from across the pond today (we hooked up on puff.com); he's visiting London from Washington, and brought me some Northwoods...

well, I couldn't resist - I'm smoking it right now and it's all true; this is glorious stuff, I have to get more of this, seriously!
I've been smoking red rapparee, black mallory, tree mixture, bankers, full english flake, squadron leader, Royal yacht... Northwoods is tops by far (so far!)
Seriously though; anybody that could get hold of this for me? I could get whatever you'd like which you may have trouble getting in the states (or a millville) as a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.