PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Chicago newspapers, the ones that are still in business, are quite snooty and exclusive about who is and is not a Chicago resident. If you move beyond the city limits, for bylines and letters to the editor, you are immediately reclassified. I have observed this in person. A Chicagoan is one thing and the citizenry of hundreds of incorporated surrounding towns are quite another. Right now, I think, Chicago has lost some populations over all, but some of the kids who grew up in the suburbs have moved to the city even with families. The long auto commute has lost its charm, it would suggest. I would remind everyone that the mythic Chicago columnist, originally with the Sun Times, and later with the Tribune, Mike Royko, ultimately moved to the North Shore suburb of Highland Park. No one was more Chicago than Royko; so there.

Reactions: anotherbob

Stick-man

Lurker
Dec 21, 2019
Welcome from McHenry County. The only thing keeping us in Illinois is our grandsons. We won't move away from them.

I do understand. Although, because of my job, I am just trying to get to Indiana. At least there I can afford the property taxes.

Reactions: scloyd

Stick-man

Lurker
Dec 21, 2019
stick', I'm from Chicagoland too, the near northwest suburb of Park Ridge, near Edison Park in Chicago proper. I've been in central North Carolina since 1972, right out of the Navy, first for school on GI Bill, then for work with the Vet's Administration, and then married to a fellow former-student. Park Ridge had a small but impressive pipe shop for many years while I was living there and for years after, which finally closed. Right by the "Chicago and Northwestern" tracks. Which 'burb" are you in?

I am in Evergreen Park. Born and raised, and still living in the same house..........I kicked my parents out!!! LOL

Reactions: scloyd

Stick-man

Lurker
Dec 21, 2019
wait a second most people I've met from there initially say they're from Chicago. It's gonna take me a moment to process this. Welcome aboard.

Chitcago is not what it used to be. It is a cesspool of corrupt politicians, extreme crime, much of it going unpunished based on color of skin, illegal aliens, the nations largest outdoor shooting range, my neighbor of 30+ years throwing a fit because I put a pool up on MY property..............

Status
Not open for further replies.