PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick-man

Lurker
Dec 21, 2019
That said, please don't hold it against me. I am trying to leave hellinois asap.

I am a 49 year old elevator mechanic, ex-trucking and excavating/construction owner, that enjoys his family, motorcycles, welding, fishing, hunting, shooting, scuba diving, and anything else I can do to keep active. I quit all forms of tobacco 14 years ago this Dec 28, six days after my daughter was born. I enjoyed pipes, cigars, Lucky Strike's, Copenhagen and Red Man. I only wanted to give up the cigarettes, but I knew all had to cease if I were to be successful.

Recently, my brother mentioned he wanted to take up pipe smoking. To my enjoyment, we had numerous long conversations on the topic. I gave hime my Ultimate Pipe Book, by Richard Carleton Hacker, to use as a reference and learning tool. I told him of my favorite tobacco's to try, and my two all time favorites became his the same. Our grandfather had smoked pipes, and that had an influence on both of us.

I had smoked a pipe for about ten years. My collection is only about ten or so pipes, including one meerschaum, two Kirstens, one Brebbia, one Big Ben, one Falcon, and about five other ordinary smokers. My favorite tobacco's include Iwan Reis Three Star Blue, a 50/50 mixture of Black Diamond and Black Beauty from a local tobacco shop, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Night Cap.

My brother is really bugging me to get back to smoking, however I don't want it to lead me back to the cigarette's. So, I am just enjoying helping my brother, and lurking on the internet for pipes and tobacco, and now the forums.

I hope I didn't bore you with my long intro. I look forward to participating here.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from McHenry County. The only thing keeping us in Illinois is our grandsons. We won't move away from them.

Reactions: Stick-man

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
stick', you have an interesting life. What a variety of skills. This site may draw you in on pipe smoking. Members complain about getting hooked into buying pipes and more tobacco than they smoke, so there's the disclaimer. But for information, history, carving and restoration expertise, a variety of opinions and thoughts on pipe smoking, and much else, this is indeed the place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
stick', I'm from Chicagoland too, the near northwest suburb of Park Ridge, near Edison Park in Chicago proper. I've been in central North Carolina since 1972, right out of the Navy, first for school on GI Bill, then for work with the Vet's Administration, and then married to a fellow former-student. Park Ridge had a small but impressive pipe shop for many years while I was living there and for years after, which finally closed. Right by the "Chicago and Northwestern" tracks. Which 'burb" are you in?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
anotherbob, I'm not sure if Chicago is front runner for shear number of suburbs, but I believe it is in contention. The map is a patchwork quilt of 'burbs going off into the north, west, and south, though the lake stops them in the east. I think L.A. has us for sprawl, but it may not have as many separate incorporated entities.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
anotherbob, I'm not sure if Chicago is front runner for shear number of suburbs, but I believe it is in contention. The map is a patchwork quilt of 'burbs going off into the north, west, and south, though the lake stops them in the east. I think L.A. has us for sprawl, but it may not have as many separate incorporated entities.
I've seen fights start over who is really from Chicago or just a suburb.

Status
Not open for further replies.