Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from N CA! Was born in Lake Forest, ca. 30 miles North of Chicago.

Where 'bouts are you?

You can put your location in your profile.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
haunted', yes, the Park Ridge Pipe Shop became a sort of community center for counter-culture kids and lost its pipe smoking base. It was just too much about something else. By that time I was long gone to college/Navy/grad school, etc. A funny note for Chicagoans: Heard an interview on NPR with a musician/woman who went to New Trier in Winnetka, which has quite a haughty reputation in the area, but the interviewer had never heard of it and couldn't pronounce it! I only know it because my mom went there. I sure didn't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to wallow in Chicagoland nostalgia, but University of Chicago -- I did't go there either -- was founded early in the 20th Century and puffed up such a reputation on its campus that it sort of claimed itself as the improvement on all the mistakes of the Ivy League. My maternal grandpa was among one of the early law school grads there. I've run into some grads who were still aglow with the superiority of it all and could barely speak to us commoners without condescension. I guess it's a good way to launch successful young careers, but people ought to grow wiser with age. At some point you ought to know your electrician knows a lot that you don't.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jam', my dad went to Lake Forest College after freshman year at Carlton College when the depression hit. He took a year off to work in Chicago as an office boy, then went back to school at Lake Forest working a lot of side jobs. Back then, any college degree was a good entree if you could find work, especially after WWII. He used his office job as a way into a long career when he got back from the Pacific and his being skipper of a minesweeper. His older brother started as an A student at U. Mich, but never got back to college, went right to work. If there was every a guy who deserved an engineering degree, but Uncle Dick did pretty well for himself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My mom, who went to New Trier, appeared in a silent movie with Charlton Heston when he was a student there too, Pier Gynt, with the musical suite as the soundtrack. Heston commanded the screen even then, and my mom played one of several singing muses. My mom could have tried for an acting or singing career, but I doubt I would be here if she had. She always sang, soprano, and was good.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Welcome! Sister & Bro in law spent a few years in Lincoln Park - my only connection to the area.

Side note: I think I want to smoke 10 bowls or so talking to and picking the brain of Mso489 one day...?

Status
Not open for further replies.