PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hef has always reminded me of a Presbyterian run wild, the repression uncorked. Peoples' idea of being unleashed is highly dependent upon what it is they think they're not supposed to do.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
To me, Hef in the early years, was a great marketer. He knew what the people (a not inconsiderable portion of the male population) wanted and sold it to them. He stayed just ahead of the curve, provided a foot up for many great writers and cartoonists, all the while providing the boys a great, if unrealistic, vision of the "perfect" woman. Pretty much the perfect vision to present the history of hedonistic 60's to the world.
A lot of additional sex education was to found under dad's bed or hidden in a drawer. Good or bad, Hefner had big hand in the shaping of the world. Very avant-garde! The magazine, I did read a few of the articles and interviews, was leading edge in many areas from politics, fiction, humor and sexual mores. He, in his prime, was a game changer. When it comes to writing the history of the 1950s and 60s he needs to be mentioned and cited.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Am I the only one that thinks it's odd lordofthepiperings is offering small children cookies in his bathroom? :nana:
Seriously though I think it's silly for PB to pull nudity from it's magazine. I get the magazine business is in bad shape but I seriously doubt that this will help their bottom line.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I remember in the 90s and early 2000s they were getting some high profile celebrities to do spreads. People still subscribed to it because that was the only way to see some of those celebs nude. Haven't heard of them doing anything like that in the last ten years or so. Haven't heard of them getting Anne Hathaway to do a spread or Jennifer Lawrence or Katy Perry etc.. Heck I haven't even heard of them offering Miley Cyrus a lot of money to do a spread and she practically does them for free on Instagram and Twitter. Sure she wouldn't mind pocketing some money to push some magazines.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I think those celebrity spreads were the real money makers for PB and it's a shame we haven't seen any in a long time.
I wonder if PB would do a nude spread if they got a big name celebrity to step up.
Hmmm I wouldn't mind seeing Jennifer Lawrence nude. Not so sure about Miley. I've seen to much of her as it is. She's off her rocker.

Mar 1, 2014
"Postmortem Era"

I like that, except applied to western culture as a whole instead of just one man.

Which is highly ironic, that the passing of a man who stood for much of what I consider wrong marks the death of the culture that I would claim as my own.
Not that it's going to matter what we think once Mandarin becomes the international language of commerce.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Playboy magazine without nudes is like Oreo cookies without the cream filling.
However, I can somewhat understand the decision as magazines have more or less gone the way of many B&M stores. Why bother with the expenditure and upkeep when something can be much more easily obtained for less, and a much wider variety with the simple click of a mouse button on ones computer. Other than that, I don't believe I purchased a Playboy magazine since the mid 70's or so although I could get a free copy when I belonged to the Playboy club about 40 years ago, but that involved going downtown to the club to pick the current copy up. Thank God for barber shops!

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
I geel sorry for the women! Like Sarah Jean Underwood is a millionaire! Without beiing a centerfold and PMOY, how would she have fared? What vehicle will exist for women in the future? Alot of playmates married soorts stars, I would rather have a playmate of the month or year, then even a Victoria's Secret model.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I watched the 10 episode autobiographical TV show on Amazon about Hugh and Playboy magazine, and found it to be well done. There was a lot of stuff I didn't know. The man has a pipe in his mouth/hand pretty much all the time, and he must have liked Dunhill Shell apples because that's what he was smoking in almost every picture in the show over and over again. They never did show the bunny inlay in place of the white dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.