PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Lately my tastes have been going to Va-Pers so when I read the description of H & H Louisiana Red it sounded like something I'd enjoy. This came in a one pound bag manufactured by Sutliff.

Fresh from the bag I got a little taste of vinegar so I jarred it and gave it a couple of weeks. I've since tried it again and the slight vinegar taste has gone away. What I taste now is mainly the red Virginias in the lead, giving a slightly tart, citrus flavor. The red Virginia tobacco in this reminds me a little of McClelland's 5100 Red Cake. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Perique, but what I do taste adds a little bit of plum flavor.

The moisture seems to be just right but it does require several relights. I think this will be a lot better after a couple of years aging. Still, I'd give it a strong three out of four stars. I would recommend it.

Mar 23, 2024
i bought some two years back and i took about two ounces and mixed a good amount of latakita and now its marvelous and even just straight!! but aging for two years made the blend excellent

Reactions: anotherbob

seabee1999

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
Either this past Christmas or the one before, I was able to get a small tin of this marked 2015. Reading this makes me want to crack the tin and try it.